Employer: Garden City Community College
Job Title: Coordinator of Accommodations
Perform those duties assigned by the Director of Enrollment Management to assure that all students and employees have knowledge of Section 504 (ADA) policies and of the process for applying for accommodations. Directs and coordinates ADA compliance for the institution, arranging accommodations for special needs students in the classroom. This person also performs student support, advisement and retention duties.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Serve as campus resource person for compliance to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and ADA concerning physical environment, curriculum and instruction modifications, and utilization of adaptive equipment and program accessibility.
- Perform intake conference to develop an educational services plan for every ADA student prior to each semester.
- Manage budget and supplies for the ADA program.
- Serve as an advocate for students with special needs to instructors and staff at the college.
- Provide transfer, career and academic counseling.
- Assist with standard assessments and provides interpretation.
- Advise and assist students on course selection, degree selection, program options, tutoring options and student concerns consistent with the students' educational goals.
- Assist in campus and community collaboration, including student retention, contact with other advisors, and development and coordination of faculty/staff orientation and training.
- Assess need, plan, facilitate, market and evaluate programs and services for students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
1. To have knowledge of ADA laws and compliance issues.
2. To aid all current and inactive college students in a timely and efficient manner.
3. To have a positive and productive working relationship with co-workers and college personnel.
4. To understand the responsibilities of being role models to students on the campus.
5. Coordinate student activities and student center budget.
Knowledge and Skills
Experience: Two years to five years of similar or related experience.
Education: A Bachelor's degree.
Interpersonal Skills: Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves much personal contact with others inside and/or outside the college for purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relationships, or soliciting cooperation.
Other Skills: Bachelor's degree in counseling, social work or related field required. Experience in higher education desired. Two years' experience in accommodations compliance, advising and/or counseling area required. Strong knowledge of ADA laws and compliance issues required. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills are necessary. Ability to maintain confidential information in a professional manner is required.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; however, there will be some walking, standing, bending, crouching, stooping, etc. Job may require lifting objects with occasionally lifting up to 30-50 pounds such as a box of paper.
Work Environment: Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
To complete the application process, candidates must submit:
- Application letter expressing interest in position.
- Personal resume
- Fill out online application at www.hrepartners.com
- Copy of college transcripts and appropriate certificates
- Up to three current letters of recommendation submitted directly to the Director of Human Resources by the individual providing the reference
Contact: Human Resources Office
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
(620) 276-0362; FAX (620) 276-9573
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact Human Resources, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact Melanie Hands, Coordinator of Disabilities, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
1/8/2019 12:00:00 AM