To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Andover
Job Title: Landscape Technician
Salary: $13.50 Hourly
Reports to: Grounds and Building Superintendent or Crew Chief
Pay Range: $12-15/hour. Salary is dependent on applicant's experience.
Primary Purpose of Position
This position is responsible for maintaining landscape beds, plantings, turf grass and trees on city park properties. Employee will assist in irrigation system installation and maintenance. Although the employee works under the direct supervision of the Grounds and Building Superintendent or Crew Chief, some tasks require working independently following prescribed instructions, procedures, and policies. The work of this position is routine and semi-skilled in nature. The employee is also required to complete other tasks as assigned, especially as they relate to special event or city festival preparations.
- Performs grounds maintenance on city parks grounds, boulevards, and landscape beds.
- Plants and maintains turf grass, shrubs, flowers, trees, including the Parks Dept. tree farm.
- Applies herbicide and pesticides to city grounds to control weeds and insect pests.
- Assists with irrigation system installation and maintenance.
- Mows grass, cuts brush and prunes with and without power equipment.
- Updates and maintains the city wide inventory of plantings and other landscape assets.
- Performs snow removal on city grounds.
- Other related duties as necessary.
Education and Experience
1. High School Diploma or GED preferred.
2. 6 months related work experience preferred.
3. Attain a pesticide applicator certification within the first 6 months of employment.
4. Must have a valid driver’s license.
1. Working knowledge of common hand and power tools utilized in grounds maintenance.
2. Working knowledge of the operation of motorized grounds equipment.
3. The ability to follow and comprehend written and oral instructions.
4. Must have the ability to bend, lift, pull, push, crouch, and stand for long periods.
5. Must possess knowledge of safe working habits.
Problem Solving- Routine daily tasks involve minor problem solving abilities.
Decision Making-Limited decision making exists in this position. Duties follow prescribed instructions, procedures, and policies.
Accountability- Employee is responsible for correct use of equipment and materials to prevent unwarranted damage, down time, or excessive consumption, and to avoid preventable injuries.
Supervision-Supervision is provided by the Grounds and Buildings Superintendent and the Parks Crew Chief.
Personal Relations-Routine contact with other city employees and the general public.
- Heavy manual labor is required.
- Extreme weather conditions and working with fuels and maintenance chemicals are factors in this position.
- Personal protective equipment is frequently required.
The majority of the work in this position involves physical labor and exertion to manually move, lift, carry, or push heavy objects or equipment possibly weighing 40 lbs. or more. Climbing in and out of ditches and bending, stooping, and shoveling as required; trimming trees, accessing certain fixtures at heights, etc. Employee will frequently operate motorized equipment and is outdoors for extended periods of time.
2/6/2019 12:00:00 AM