To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Saline County
Division: Emergency Management
Job Title: Director of Emergency Management
*If an email address is provided, all correspondence will be via email. Email notices will be sent from the address firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend you begin checking your email for correspondence after the application deadline date. If you have not received a confirmation within 48 hours of submitting your application, please call 785-309-5812 to verify application has been received*
- Fulfill the duties of Director of Emergency Management as prescribed in Local Codes, State Statutes and Federal Laws.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Government, private and volunteer sectors of the community to communicate mutual concerns.
- Maintain the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to support natural or man-made disasters or major emergency operations.
- Liaison between Local, State and Federal agencies during response and recovery activities of jurisdictions involved in natural or man-made disasters or major emergencies.
- Maintain reverse 911 or mass notification systems to broadcast emergency information and instructions to the public for a local, as well as national emergency.
- Act as Chief of Staff of the EOC and serve as key advisor during an emergency, reporting directly to the Chief Executive of the affected jurisdiction.
- Attend Board of Trustees meetings of the rural fire districts to provide information and guidance in matters that have been identified by the Board of Trustees, the Board of County Commissioners or the Deputy County Administrator.
- Maintain a Weather Center in the EOC. Direct County storm spotter’s activities. Activate the storm warning system for severe thunderstorm and tornado watches and warnings for the jurisdiction.
- Knowledge of the methods of organization, planning, management and supervision. Be able to work a variety of hours and be physically able to respond to disaster emergencies. Ability to deal effectively with Local, State and Federal government officials.
- Must have a High School diploma or the equivalent.
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible management experience or Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in Management, Emergency Services, Emergency Management or a related field of expertise is preferred.
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in emergency service practices preferred. Experience in more than one facet of Emergency Services is desirable.
- Must have a valid Kansas Driver’s license and be insurable under Saline County’s fleet insurance policy.
- Must be proficient in personal computer (PC) operations and Microsoft Office products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be available to travel to attend training courses and Emergency Preparedness conferences.
- Familiarity with Emergency Response Systems, Disaster Management principles and practices, FEMA regulations and policies are preferred.
- Must obtain within 24 months of appointment, certification as an Emergency Manager as pursuant the Division of Emergency Management specifications.
- Must complete the FEMA Independent Study (IS-3) Radiological Emergency Management within one year of appointment.
- Must complete the FEMA Independent Study (IS-5.a) An Introduction to Hazardous Materials within one year of appointment.
Salary Range: $48,621.77 at Step 1 to $74,342.14 at Step 20.
For additional questions or complete job description contact:
Marilyn Leamer, SHRM-SCP, IPMA-SCP, PHR
Human Resource Director
3/5/2019 12:00:00 AM
3/31/2019 11:59:59 PM