To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Wellington
Division: PUBLIC WORKS
Job Title: SEASONAL POSITIONS-PUBLIC WORKS
Under the supervision of the Department Head and designated supervisor/s, the Seasonal Laborer position performs manual labor and a variety of maintenance tasks for divisions within the Public Works and Utility Departments. Work includes, but is not limited to: patching and sealing roadways, trimming trees and removing brush, grass mowing and trimming, parks, grounds and building maintenance, repairing water line breaks, operating light equipment, assisting in major repairs, documenting daily field assignments, and/or other administrative duties.
- Assist full-time employees in various maintenance and repair tasks, including, but not limited to: mowing, clipping, trimming, cleaning equipment, materials and buildings, painting, operating equipment, observing monitors, shoveling, weeding, digging, filling potholes, sewer cleaning, repair of water line breaks, etc……;
- Performs manual labor and heavy lifting under all weather conditions;
- Loads and unloads equipment and supplies, cleans and cares for basic tools and equipment;
- Arrive to work on-time and meet attendance requirements;
- Wear requires personal protective equipment as assigned and directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Experience: One year of experience preferred.
Education/Licenses: A high school diploma or G.E.D. is preferred. Must have and maintain a valid Kansas driver’s license.
Technical Skills: Ability to operate lawn power equipment, mowers, weed trimmers, and blowers; drive pick-up trucks; and use shovels, rakes, and hoes. Ability to operate the necessary departmental equipment commensurate with job specific age restriction. Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and carry them out independently. Ability to assess situations, solve problems, and work effectively within deadlines and changing work priorities. Ability to work independently and completed assigned work in a timely manner. Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment and initiative when dealing with coworkers, supervisors, and the public.
Problem Solving: Minimal problem solving necessary, but this employee could encounter problems with equipment malfunctions and their repair.
Decision-Making: Limited decision making. Duties assigned are primarily routine, repetitive, and restricted in intricacy with little or no discretion in how they are carried out.
Supervision: This position is subject to frequent supervision.
Financial Accountability: No direct accountability for financial decisions but responsible to insure duties are performed in an efficient, cost effective manner.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, co-workers and supervisory personnel.
Working Conditions: Exposure to equipment, noise, hazardous chemicals and all types of weather conditions.
Physical Requirements: Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, extensive walking, and the ability to operate departmental equipment is required.
BEGINNING SALARY IS $8.00 PER HOUR.
3/26/2019 12:00:00 AM