To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of McPherson
Job Title: City Treasurer/Finance Director
The Salary for this postion will depend on Qualifications and Experience.
City Treasurer/Finance Director
City of McPherson Administration Department
Under the supervision of the City Administrator, the City Treasurer/Finance Director is an exempt position under FLSA. Performing accounting and bookkeeping duties, investing idle funds, assisting in preparing the annual city budget, and balancing daily cash receipts and deposits are the primary responsibilities of this position. This position should possess excellent communication, organizational, accounting, and public relation skills.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with employees, the governing body and the public;
- Balances daily cash receipts and deposits in an accurate and timely manner;
- Responsible for maintaining sufficient bank balances between investments and checking accounts;
- Makes investments of idle funds, including City, Cemetery, Salthouse Broadway Trust and Museum Building Fund;
- Analyze and present financial reports and financial statement in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicating monthly and annual financial statements;
- Establishes and maintains account numbers, inputs and maintains accounts in the City financial accounting system, ensuring all established controls are met;
- Effectively assigns and supervises personnel;
- Maintains and applies knowledge of the principles, practices and ethics of municipal finance, including accounting, treasury management, revenue administration and budgeting;
- Maintains bank balances in City’s internal accounts;
- Responsible for bank holdings and pledging;
- Responsible for bonded indebtedness, principal and interest schedules and payments, City, BPU and Public Building Commission;
- Updating various policies as they relate to purchasing, debt management, and other city wide financial accounting practices;
- Responsible for special assessments by bond issue;
- Responsible for registration of temporary notes and principal and interest schedules per individual owner;
- Responsible for insuring the debt covenant requirements are maintained;
- Responsible for maintaining post-issuance compliance through the life of the bonds;
- Capital Improvements and Equipment Reserve Fund – Maintains historical accounting data by project or equipment purchase;
- Maintain Capital Improvement projects accounting;
- Calculates special assessments on capital improvement projects;
- Assists City Administrator in sizing Temporary Note and Bond Issues;
- Coordinates and leads the annual audit process, serving as a liaison for external auditors, meeting deadlines for information expectations in a timely manner;
- Assists in the annual budgeting and planning processes with the City Administrator, Department Heads, and the City Commission; reviews all financial plans and budgets; monitors progress and changes and keeps the management team and City Commission abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Responsible for Industrial Revenue Bonds, including payment schedules and balances;
- Maintains Financial Statement Controls on the City’s financial software;
- Looks to improve efficiency and effectiveness of financial records and city budgets through use of available finance software;
- Effectively conducts studies and investigations as assigned;
- Follows department policies and procedures.
- Updates various city forms;
- Prepares contracts;
- Monitors Inter Department Transfers;
- Assists other departments as needed;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
CITY TREASURER/FINANCE DIRECTOR
Experience: Three to Five years of similar or related experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within one year of employment.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree and experience in Accounting, Finance, Public Finance, Investment Banking, or college credit in a related field is required. Having a designation of Certified Public Finance Officers (CPFO) or Certified Local Government Finance Officer (CLGFO), CPA Certificate and/or a Master’s Degree is preferred.
Technical Skills: A thorough knowledge of office procedures, accounting principles, computers, bookkeeping duties, and a working knowledge of investments and mathematics are required. This employee must be able to operate computers, printers, calculators, photocopiers, and other office equipment. The ability to follow department policies and procedures, to interpret data, to prepare reports, to read and prepare budget reports, and to interpret written instructions, proposals, reports, and financial statements is required. This employee should possess excellent accounting, organizational, public relation, oral and written communication skills.
Problem Solving: Independent problem solving is involved in this position. This employee encounters problems with accounts not balancing, interpretation of city codes and state statutes, fund investments, and non-compliance with standard accounting procedures.
Decision Making: Independent decision-making is involved in this position. This employee makes decisions about investing city funds, projecting future disbursements, and performing daily duties in the most efficient manner.
Supervision: This employee works with occasional supervision from the City Administrator. This employee does have supervisory responsibilities over subordinate personnel.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for city resources and equipment. This employee required to be bonded. This employee does participate in the annual budget process.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, co-workers, and supervisory personnel, and occasional contact with the organization’s governing body is expected.
Working Conditions: No adverse working conditions exist within this position. Working in an office setting with a computer is the primary aspect of this position.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity associated with working in an office setting is required to perform the daily duties of this position.
***The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
4/1/2019 12:00:00 AM