To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Marion County
Job Title: Equipmtnent Operator II
Department: Road & Bridge
Reports To: Road & Bridge Superintendent, Road Supervisor and/or Bridge/Culvert Supervisor
Under the supervision of the Road & Bridge Superintendent, Road Supervisor and/or Bridge/Culvert Supervisor, the Equipment Operator II is a non-exempt position under the FLSA which performs skilled and semi-skilled work in operation of a wide variety of heavy and light equipment used for maintaining county roads, rights-of-way and culverts. Work involves spreading rock, maintaining roads and cutting ditches. Assignments are received and carried out following prescribed procedures.
- Operates heavy equipment such as Asphalt Recycler, tractors, and compacting rollers, loader, sand spreader, motor grader, dozer, chip spreader, oil distributor, track hoe, skid steer, and other heavy equipment;
- Operates paddle scraper, backhoe, wheel loaders, dump truck, power broom, lowboy, tanker, tractor and roller, steel drum roller, sign truck, mower tractors, snow plows, cutting torch & welder, chain saws, winch truck, crane truck;
- Cleans ditches and culverts;
- Rebuilds roads;
- Spreads rock;
- Grades roads;
- Cleans ditches and culverts;
- Cuts ditches when there are water problems on or along the road;
- Breaks up asphalt on roads needing repair or replacement;
- Lays materials for a sub-base or on a hard gravel roadbed;
- Trims trees and removes debris;
- Hauls rock, asphalt and sand;
- Assists other areas with heavy and light equipment operation;
- Drives truck hauling equipment and materials;
- Reports problems with bridges;
- Performs maintenance on vehicles/equipment;
- Repairs machinery when able to do so;
- Calls Dig Safe;
- Maintains flexibility to be on call 24 hours a day.
- Uses personal vehicle for checking roads, burning brush and cutting trees;
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as assigned.
Equipment Operator II
Minimum Position Requirements
Experience: One to three years of experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after one year in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED or equivalent combination of experience and/or training. A CDL Class A driver’s license with Tanker Endorsement is required
Skills: Thorough knowledge of road and bridge materials and equipment and equipment maintenance. Thorough knowledge of safe and efficient operations of related equipment. Thorough knowledge of techniques and materials used in road and bridge construction and repair. The ability to receive, interpret and follow instructions. The ability to operate, motor grader, loader, backhoe, paddle scraper, and other heavy and light construction and road maintenance equipment.
Problem Solving: Problem solving exists in this position.
Decision Making: Decision making exists in this position. Decisions include knowing how deep to cut a ditch for water run-off, checking the right-of-way and legals, knowing what road work needs to be done and prioritizing duties.
Accountability: Employee is responsible for county equipment. Employee is not responsible for budgetary control of the department and does not participate in the annual departmental budget process.
Supervision: Supervision is provided by the Road & Bridge Superintendent. Employee may have limited supervisory responsibility over subordinate personnel.
Personal Relations: Occasional contact with other county departments and continual contact with the general public, both on and off duty.
Working Conditions: Physical effort, manual labor and heavy lifting are required. Adverse weather conditions, traffic and working with heavy equipment are factors in this position.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity is required, such as lifting, bending, climbing, pushing and sitting while working with equipment at construction sites. The ability to operate controls on heavy equipment. Requires lifting heavy objects. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
4/2/2019 12:00:00 AM