To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Franklin County
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Light Equipment Operator - Seasonal
Salary: $12.38 Hourly
Position Title: Seasonal Light Equipment Operator
Department: Public Works
Under direct supervision performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled duties associated with the operation of trucks, light and occasionally medium equipment in the repair, maintenance and construction of County roads, bridges and rights-of-way. Primary duties will be mowing along County roads and in County’s rights-of-way. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Seasonal Position (less than 1000 hours annually)
Non-benefit eligible position
Base Rate: $12.38 per hour depending on qualifications
Date Opened: Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Date to Close: Sunday, May 21, 2019
Hours: Generally 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. Some overtime may be required.
Questions regarding this job announcement shall be directed to the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3444 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
High School Diploma or GED required. Six months to twelve months related experience or training is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be accepted. Valid driver’s license required.
Operates a variety of light equipment, such as light tractor to pull mower, broom, and posthole digger, pickup truck for transporting equipment, signs and posts. Also operates chainsaws and brush chipper when needed.
Services, maintains and makes mechanical adjustments and minor repairs on equipment such as checking and servicing fuel, oil and coolant levels, lubrication, tire pressure and changes, and general appearance.
Constructs and repairs fences, puts up and takes down safety signs and performs other hand labor.
Franklin County conducts background checks and drug screenings on all potential candidates.
Anyone with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3444 at least two days prior to the scheduled test or interview.
Duties listed on the job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types to work performed. Omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The attached job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change as the County’s needs and requirements of the job change.
The State of Kansas and Franklin County are At-Will Employment jurisdictions.
Franklin County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Franklin County, Kansas Job Description
Title: Seasonal Light Equipment Operator
Reports To: Road Superintendent
Department: Public Works
Under direct supervision performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled duties associated with the operation of trucks, light and occasionally medium equipment in the repair, maintenance and construction of County roads, bridges and rights-of-way. Primary duties will be mowing along County roads and in County’s rights-of-way.
- Operates a variety of light equipment, such as light tractor to pull mower, broom, and posthole digger, pickup truck for transporting equipment, signs and posts;
- Repairs and installs traffic signs and posts;
- Monitors condition of assigned equipment to assure care, service, lubrication and repairs;
- Services, maintains and makes mechanical adjustments and minor repairs on equipment such as checking and servicing fuel, oil and coolant levels, lubrication, tire pressure and changes, and general appearance;
- Constructs and repairs fences, puts up and takes down safety signs and performs other hand labor;
- Flags traffic passing near, in, or around work zones;
- Cleans or prepares construction sites to eliminate possible hazards;
- Signals equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials;
- Loads, unloads, or identifies building materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans or specifications;
- May spray stumps, remove trash, work in shop painting, cleaning, and repairing tires;
- May install culverts;
- Assists in sanding/re-facing/repairing signs;
- Hauls/loads snow and ice control materials;
- Plows snow and spreads ice control materials;
- Loads/unloads spreaders;
- Takes after-hour calls for tree/sign issues;
- Paints interior and exterior of department buildings;
- Burns brush piles and observes and controls the fire spread;
- Mows along black tops and gravel roads;
- Performs traffic counts;
- Maintains and repairs guardrails and mailboxes;
- Repairs barricades;
- Trims brush around existing signs along rights-of-way.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Safety standards and practices;
- Rules, regulations, policies and procedures relating to area of assignment;
- Materials, tools, equipment, safety hazards and precautions common to the assigned area of responsibility;
- Work zone safety, traffic control and flagging;
- Traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in equipment operation;
- Safe, efficient operation of assigned equipment;
- Road layouts and routes.
- Operating assigned equipment safely, effectively and efficiently;
- Training others to use equipment effectively and efficiently.
- Read, analyze, and interpret common safety manuals and instructions;
- Respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers;
- Operate equipment for extended periods of time during difficult weather conditions;
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals;
- Maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, officials and the public;
- Receive, understand and carry out oral and written instruction;
- Prepare routine reports and record information about projects and assignments;
- Be called out and work weekends.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Possess commercial driver’s license.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or G.E.D.;
- six months to twelve months related experience or training;
- or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree in Heavy Equipment Operation, Construction Science or related field from two year-college or technical school;
- or one year to two years related experience and/or training;
- or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear;
- The employee is frequently required to walk;
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or smell;
- The employee must regularly required to lift and/or move, push or pull up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift and/or move, push or pull up to 50 pounds without assistance and up to 100 pounds or more with assistance;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job:
- The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places;
- The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions;
- The employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborn particles;
- The employee is regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and explosives.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position.
4/3/2019 12:00:00 AM
4/21/2019 11:59:59 PM