To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Salary: $17.22 Hourly
70% Laboratory Tests and Procedures
- Conduct technical, bacteriological, and chemical examinations of wastewater samples.
- Acts as Technical Director and supervises day to day laboratory operations.
- Monitor standards of performance in quality control and quality assurance.
- Monitor all data for reliability.
- Collect samples daily at sources of supply.
- Conduct chemical and biological analysis in the field and in the laboratory.
- Conduct necessary daily analysis to determine plant performance.
- Analyze data and suggest parameters for solid testing, return solid rates, and aeration rates.
- Conduct studies on specific wastewater problems and propose solutions.
- Operate the plant in accordance with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) requirements and the City’s NPDES discharge permit.
- Analyze and test the strength of the wastewater at the influent, through the process of treatment and effluent, and report the results to the city and other agencies.
- Supervise and train Lab Assistant.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Stormwater Manager who acts as Quality Manager for the lab.
- Conduct annual ethics / integrity training.
- Maintain currency of Quality Manual.
- Ensure laboratory compliance according to NELAC standards.
- Monitor performance standards for quality control and quality assurance.
- Report any violations of procedures to a supervisor immediately.
15% Laboratory Facilities
- Troubleshoot problems with department equipment and machines.
- Maintain all department equipment in a good and working order.
- Organize and maintain the laboratory facilities in a clean and safe condition.
- Order supplies and materials necessary for the operation of the laboratory.
15% Records and Reports
- Maintain current certification for the City of Derby’s Certified Municipal Laboratory.
- Maintain and prepare accurate records and reports for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) and the EPA.
- Coordinate with the Utilities Manager and Stormwater Manager to keep the laboratory’s standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and SOP manual up to date.
- Report any attempts to manipulate or falsify data to a supervisor immediately.
- Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks result in improved operating costs, utilization of material and/or equipment, and public satisfaction.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Associate degree in environmental science, biology, microbiology, chemistry or related field, required. Bachelor degree, preferred.
- Two years environmental laboratory analysis experience, required.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
- Class I Wastewater Operator certification, required within eighteen months of employment.
- Class II Laboratory certification, required within twenty four months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of microbiology, chemistry, use of chemicals, and operation of wastewater treatment facility equipment.
- Ability to apply intermediate level mathematics skills.
- Ability to operate all division equipment and machinery, flow meters, including laboratory testing equipment, analytical meters and probes, and pumps and valves.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Regular (40%) exposure to adverse weather conditions, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 20 pounds. Occasional bending, kneeling, squatting, and twisting.
4/25/2019 12:00:00 AM