To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Garden City Community College
Job Title: Developmental Math Instructor
This is a full-time, 172-day contract position under the direction of the appropriate Division Director and the Vice President of Instructional Services. The primary assignment is to provide instructional services and learning facilitation for students in the Mathematics Division.
This assignment includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Teaching assigned day and/or evening courses using lecture, lab, hands-on demonstration, cooperative learning and additional teaching methods including online/hybrid delivery. Courses are offered in accordance with established standards and course syllabi.
- Providing individual and small group learning, diagnostic assessment of students, and identification of appropriate learning materials.
- Integrating appropriate technology (graphing calculators, web courseware, mathematics software, etc.) for both class demonstrations and instruction for all levels of courses taught.
- Participating in course and curriculum design, student advisement, program review and college committees as required to maintain and improve the learning program.
- Participating in the operation of computer and other labs and providing direction and help to students and student assistants.
- Remaining current in subject matter and in the techniques most effective to promote student learning.
- Participating in staff and college meetings and contributing through appropriate committee assignments.
- Performing other relevant tasks as assigned.
Faculty Profile Personal and Professional Qualities
- Strong commitment to quality teaching, student learning and academic excellence.
- Learner-centered, able to lead the learning process, to inspire, motivate, and help students to succeed.
- Appreciation and respect for the student role, contribution and responsibility in the learning process.
- Commitment to develop learning outcomes and design alternative approaches to learning.
- Ability and willingness to apply knowledge of academic or occupational areas in designing strategies related to learning outcomes.
- Commitment to integrate new technologies and strategies into the learning process.
- Commitment to using technologies and instructional support resources to address unique needs of each learner.
- Intellectual and ethical qualities which evoke confidence and respect.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, openness to change, willingness to experiment and innovate.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds and needs of community college students.
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics.
A master’s degree in mathematics education or possession of a master's degree with 18 graduate level credit hours in mathematics education.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who establish the highest level of professional competency as evidenced by:
- Developmental and lower level teaching experience at a rural community college.
- Experience with TI-84 (or similar) calculators
- Ability to motivate and teach students of diverse learning styles and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of computer-assisted learning strategies in mathematics.
- Commitment to the discipline through involvement in professional organizations and activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
Based on the minimum and/or desirable qualifications. Placement on the salary schedule is based on verification of experience, relevant degrees and upper division/graduate course work.
Term of Employment
This is a full-time position, 172-day faculty contract, bargaining unit position, beginning with the Fall Semester of the 2019-2020 academic year.
Application and information are available at www.gcccks.edu or contact:
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
620-276-0362, Fax 620-276-9573
Applications must be completed in detail and clearly show that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as set forth in the vacancy notice.
Each applicant must submit an application package, which includes:
- Letter of application, not to exceed five pages, which briefly states how applicant specifically fits the Faculty Profile of Personal and Professional Qualities and demonstrates past use of these qualities.
- Completed college application.
- Detailed resume summarizing educational preparation and experience.
- Copies of all collegiate transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable for selection process).
- Up to three current professional reference letters or a placement file containing up to three letters of recommendation. Letters must be no more than two years old, signed and dated, and from persons having first-hand knowledge of applicant’s professional qualities. Letters should address how the applicant’s qualifications and experience relate to the position.
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact Human Resources, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact Coordinator of Accommodations, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
5/1/2019 12:00:00 AM