To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Franklin County
Job Title: EMT
Salary: $12.94 Hourly
Position Title: EMT
*AEMTs are encouraged to apply
Department: Emergency Medical Services
This position meets all the requirements set forth by the Kansas Board of EMS for the position of EMT. The EMT is expected to meet the urgent health care needs of all patients regardless of age or co-morbidity, consistent with their defined scope of practice. The EMT is a unique healthcare professional in that they provide medical care and transportation in and out-of-hospital settings with medical oversight. Therefore, the EMT must be able to exercise considerable judgment, problem-solving, and decision making skills. The EMT provides out-of-hospital medical care to those with urgent needs, and is a component of the overall healthcare system. The EMT delivers care as part of a system intended to decrease the morbidity associated with sudden illness and injury. Work is performed under general supervision of the EMS Chief, Assistant Chief, Division Chief and/or Captain who reviews work methods and results through reports and inspections.
Franklin County participates in the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS & KP&F).
Base Rate: $12.94 per hour depending on qualifications
EMT Anticipated annual wage: $44,358 (holidays & OT inclusive)
Date Opened: Friday, May 10, 2019
Date to Close: Sunday, May 26, 2019
Hours: Rotating 24-Hour Shifts, evenings, weekends, holidays are required. Overtime may be required.
Questions regarding this job announcement shall be directed to the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3444 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kansas EMT Certification required. High School Diploma or GED required. Current & valid Kansas EMT certificate, CPR/BLS provider certification, ACLS certification, PALS certification, Class C operator’s license are required. Six to twelve months related experience or training required. CPR certification required.
May use equipment (based on competency level) such as but not limited to, defibrillator, electrocardiograph, performs endotracheal intubation to open airways and ventilate patient, inflate pneumatic anti-shock garment to improve patient's blood circulation.
Provide basic and advanced emergency medical care and transportation for critical and emergency patients that access the emergency medical system in a timely, professional and compassionate manner.
Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge to perform at an acceptable level within six months of being awarded the position.
Franklin County conducts background checks and drug screenings on all potential candidates.
Anyone with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3444 at least two days prior to the scheduled test or interview.
Duties listed on the job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types to work performed. Omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The attached job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change as the County’s needs and requirements of the job change.
The State of Kansas and Franklin County are At-Will Employment jurisdictions.
Franklin County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Grade: EMS 10
Reports To: EMS Captain
Modified Date: 02/2017
This position meets all the requirements set forth by the Kansas Board of EMS for the position of EMT. The EMT is expected to meet the urgent health care needs of all patients regardless of age or co-morbidity, consistent with their defined scope of practice. The EMT is a unique healthcare professional in that they provide medical care and transportation in and out-of-hospital settings with medical oversight. Therefore the EMT must be able to exercise considerable judgment, problem-solving, and decision making skills. The EMT provides out-of-hospital medical care to those with urgent needs, and is a component of the overall healthcare system. The EMT delivers care as part of a system intended to decrease the morbidity associated with sudden illness and injury. Work is performed under general supervision of the EMS Chief, Assistant Chief, Division Chief and/or Captain who reviews work methods and results through reports and inspections.
- Provides basic emergency medical care and transportation for critical and emergency patients that access the emergency medical system in a timely, professional and compassionate manner;
- Conducts a timely and accurate patient assessment and implements the appropriate treatment and transport methodologies;
- Performs interventions with the basic equipment typically found on an ambulance;
- Provides accurate documentation of assessment and treatment interventions in the form of the patient care report;
- Functions as part of a comprehensive EMS response, under medical oversight, and direct supervision of a Paramedic, AEMT, or EMS Captain;
- Reads maps, may drive ambulance to emergency site, uses most expeditious route, and observes traffic ordinances and regulations;
- Maintains all emergency vehicles and equipment in a state of readiness at all times, insures the cleanliness and readiness of vehicles, equipment and facilities;
- Attends departmental training sessions;
- Maintains appropriate records and reports;
- Ensures professionalism as defined by S.O.P. 204;
- Cleans the offices, classrooms, bathrooms, emergency vehicles and equipment, ambulance bays and storage areas as needed, utilizing proper decontaminating procedures as indicated;
- Provides mutual aid service to other county departments as well as other jurisdictions;
- Operates radio and other communication equipment;
- Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment;
- Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of the facilities and equipment, cleans and washes walls and floors, cares for grounds around station, makes minor repairs, washes, hangs and dries clothing and items, tests equipment;
- Operates office machines, such as photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems, and personal computers;
- Communicates with departments, public, and other individuals to answer questions, disseminate or explain information, and address questions;
- Works with other departments to ensure efficient and effective service delivery;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Performs other related duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Geography of the city and the county;
- Use and operation and use of emergency equipment.
- Performs basic skills focused on the acute management and transportation of critical and emergent patients;
- Performs basic, non-invasive interventions to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with acute out-of-hospital medical and traumatic emergencies;
- Insertions airway adjuncts intended to go into the, nasopharynx, and Combitube;
- Positive pressure ventilation devices such as the BVM;
- Using and applying devices such as HARE and/or SAGER traction splints.
- Use cardiac monitor in A.E.D. mode;
- Make decisions in emergency situations;
- Use good judgment and common sense;
- Maintains effective working relationships with co-workers, management, public officials, and the public;
- Work evenings, weekends, holidays;
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid EMT certification issued by the Kansas Board of EMS;
- Current CPR/BLS provider certification;
- Must hold a valid class C operator license;
REQUIRED EDUCATION/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or G.E.D.;
- six months to twelve months related experience or training;
- or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school;
- or one year to two years related experience and/or training;
- or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear;
- The employee is frequently required to walk;
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or smell;
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up, push or pull up to 25 pounds; push or pull up to 50 pounds without assistance and up to 100 pounds or more with assistance;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job --
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals;
- The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock and explosives;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, however, it can increase to loud and chaotic;
- The employee may be exposed to dangerous situations;
- The employee may be exposed to bodily fluids.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position.
5/10/2019 12:00:00 AM
5/26/2019 11:59:59 PM