To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: WSU Tech
Division: Institutional Effectiveness
Job Title: Data Specialist & Project Coordinator
Salary: $47500.00 Annually
At the WSU Campus of Applied Sciences and Technology (WSU Tech) we are DRIVEN by our mission of creating opportunities for a better life to our students and providing the best trained workforce for area employers.
You are to deliver ENTHUSIASTIC, POSITIVE, and EXCEPTIONAL service, regardless of the job, working for our students, other employees, and community partners/employers. Show GRIT and GRACE and strive to give it your all 100% of the time, because you are to be of service. You will serve our students and your co-workers who deserve your best.
The Data Specialist and Project Coordinator oversees the reporting timeline for the Office of Institutional Research, ensuring that all externally mandated reports are submitted timely and accurately. The position assists with gathering, creating, maintaining, and auditing fundamental data streams which govern institutional decision-making as it pertains to strategic indicators, academic program review, accreditation, and enrollment management. The position also prepares and submits reports for governmental and third-party agencies; responds to state and federal requirements for reporting data; generates information that enhances administrative decision-making; and assists the Director of Institutional Research in advising the administration with respect to college-wide issues affecting planning, organization, and accreditation. This position is also responsible for coordinating with other departments for internal projects maintained by IR or which IR assists with, including: course evaluations, employment status reporting, program review, student surveying, faculty/staff training materials, departmental documentation, Zogotech, and Power BI reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently coordinates all institutional enrollment (and related) reporting for state, federal, and other external agencies including maintaining Common Data Set files, IPEDS surveys, and the Kansas Board of Regents data collections.
- Facilitates the maintenance and completion of internal projects involving the Office of Institutional Research including course evaluations, student surveys, Zogotech, Power BI reports, training/documentation, and other interdepartmental projects.
- Ensures the accuracy, consistency, and timeliness of reported data.
- Retrieves, manipulates, analyzes, and validates data used for internal and external reports.
- Prepares complex, confidential data files, reports, tables, graphs, and surveys for both internal and external stakeholders in printed, electronic, and web formats.
- Assists with coordinating automated reporting and auditing to minimize time needed to review, clean, and manipulate data used in both internal and external reports; ensures that programs and queries used to report data do so consistent with regulations and guidelines.
- Responds to ad-hoc informational requests from faculty, staff, and administrators within the college.
- Supports additional quality improvement projects and special assignments as assigned by the Executive Director, Institutional Effectiveness.
- Ensures confidentiality and compliance with college policies and procedures; county, state, and federal regulations; and accreditation requirements as related to institutional effectiveness, research, and planning.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, or related discipline required.
- At least one year of experience managing projects which demonstrate an ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, prioritizing multiple complex projects from beginning to end meeting all deadlines required.
- At least one year of experience with Microsoft Office including an intermediate-level knowledge of building data reports in Excel required (e.g., pivot tables, charts, vlookups, data filters).
- At least one year of experience retrieving, manipulating, and reporting data required.
- Knowledge of basic statistical concepts required (e.g., frequencies, averages, proportions, distributions). Experience working in a statistical software package, e.g., SPSS, Stata preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge of querying data required; knowledge of SQL queries, relational databases, and basic programming preferred.
- Experience working with student-level data in an institution of higher education preferred.
- Experience with completing state/federal reports including IPEDS preferred.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner, IBM Cognos Analytics, and Power BI preferred.
- Experience with conducting social/educational research and/or evaluation projects preferred.
Other Position Requirements:
- Works effectively and productively as a team member. Keeps others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Uses diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrates effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintains acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensures appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produces quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identifies what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Completes assigned work; meets deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Performs work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Focuses on the Shocker PROUD Competencies: Professional, Responsive, Open, Understanding and Dependable
- Participates in at least 20 hours of professional development activities to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without accommodation.
Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services, some of which may be out of the area. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student needs, deadlines, and delivery of services, including evening and weekend work when necessary. Long periods of sitting or standing will be required. Independent travel to by car and public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses when needed. If driving a personal vehicle for college business, a valid driver’s license and current auto insurance is required.
All of the above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required by the position. Duties and assignments may be modified as needed.
5/21/2019 12:00:00 AM