To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: Geary County
Job Title: Corrections Program Coordinator
Salary: $15.31 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Corrections Program Coordinator (IMT/SEAS/TEMP Employee, 99303)
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary: 993 $15.31/hr.
Reports To: Jail Administrator
Department: Geary County Sheriff’s Office Date: May, 2017
Under general supervision of the Captain and Jail Administrator, the Corrections Program Coordinator will develop and provide comprehensive educational programs by implementing evidence-based practices to deter future criminal behavior and to promote positive behavior of those incarcerated. Will perform related work as required. This is an intermittent/seasonal/temporary employee that will work less than 15 hours per week. There are no benefits associated with this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Corrections Program Coordinator might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Corrections Program Coordinator. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures in the area of jail programs.
- Develop and implement specialized treatment programs, educational programming, job development and entertainment programming such as ABE/GED, Vocational Training, Cognitive Behavioral, Adult and Financial Literacy. Veteran’s Services, Life Skills, Faith-Based Services, Parenting, AA/NA, Employability Skills and Scholarship Application Assistance.
- Develop and implement specialized staff training in the area of jail programs.
- Assist in the recruitment of program volunteers.
- Maintain records in the program area; prepare regular and special reports as requested by the Jail Administrator
- Perform related work as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Criminal Justice, Corrections, Social Work or related behavioral science field. (Full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience in Corrections, Probation/Parole, Law Enforcement, Social Work or related behavioral science field may substitute for the required training on a year-to-year basis.)
- Two (2) years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid professional experience in Corrections, Probation/Parole, Law Enforcement, Social Work or related behavioral science field; one year of which must have included responsibility for program administration.
- A valid Kansas driver’s license required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of Kansas criminal law needed as well as a strong understanding of the related Kansas Administrative Rule and Regulations.
- Knowledge of both KDOC state standards.
- Knowledge of evidence-based practices in corrections:
- Kansas Department of Corrections Standards.
- Kansas Criminal Code
- Kansas Sentencing Guidelines
- Knowledge of policies and procedures unique and specific to Geary County.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with probation departments, outside service providers, and the community.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software, etc.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate information and teach and train others in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 20 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works primarily in a jail setting.
- Nature of the work may place employee in varying levels of stressful situations.
- Possible physical danger exists occasionally as employee works with criminal population both in the field and in the office.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
5/23/2019 12:00:00 AM