To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Garden City Community College
Job Title: English Instructor
This is a full-time 172-day contract position under the direction the Dean of Academics and the Vice President for Instructional Services. The primary assignment is to provide instructional services and learning facilitation for students in the Communications Division by offering English and/or related courses.
This assignment includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Teaching assigned day and/or evening courses using lecture, lab, online/hybrid delivery, hands-on demonstration, cooperative learning, and other methods in on-campus or at off-campus outreach locations. Courses are offered in accordance with established standards and course syllabi.
- Providing individual and small group facilitation of learning, diagnostic assessment of students, and identification of appropriate learning materials.
- Participating in course and curriculum design, student advisement, program review, assessment, and college committees as required to maintain and improve the learning program.
- Remaining current in subject matter and in the techniques most effective to promote student learning.
- Participating in staff and college meetings and contributing through appropriate committee assignments.
- Performing other relevant tasks as assigned.
Faculty Profile Personal and Professional Qualities
- Strong commitment to quality teaching, student learning, and academic excellence.
- A commitment to serve diverse communities including but not limited to socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Learner-centered, able to lead the learning process to inspire, motivate, and help students to succeed.
- Appreciation and respect for the student’s role, contribution, and responsibility in the learning process.
- Commitment to develop learning outcomes and design alternative approaches to learning.
- Ability and willingness to apply knowledge of academic or occupational areas in designing strategies related to learning outcomes.
- Commitment to integrate new technologies and strategies into the learning process.
- Commitment to using technologies and instructional support resources to address unique needs of each learner.
- Intellectual and ethical qualities that evoke confidence and respect.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, openness to change, and willingness to experiment and innovate.
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
A master’s degree in English or possession of a master's degree with 18 graduate level credit hours in English.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who establish the highest level of professional competency as evidenced by:
- Community college teaching experience at multiple skill levels: Basic and Intermediate Development Composition through English I and II
- Experience teaching English in a community college setting.
- Industry experience in applying writing/language skills in real-world settings.
- Ability to motivate and teach students of diverse learning styles and backgrounds.
- Experience using outcome assessment to improve student learning and program offerings.
- Knowledge of technology-assisted learning strategies in English.
- Commitment to the discipline through involvement in professional organizations and activities.
Ability to stand and sit for extended periods; speak and hear clearly in group settings and at distances of 30 feet; maintain physical mobility, alertness, and composure; utilize appropriate presentation materials and equipment; and transport self and equipment to various campus/community/area sites as needed.
Application and information are available at www.gcccks.edu or contact:
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
620-276-0362, Fax 620-276-9573
Each applicant must submit an application package, which includes the following:
- Letter of application, not to exceed two pages, which briefly states how applicant’s past experiences and skills specifically meet the needs of the job posting.
- Completed college employee application.
- Detailed resume summarizing educational preparation and experience.
- Copies of all collegiate transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable for selection process—official copies required in final stage of hiring).
- Up to three current professional reference letters or a placement file containing up to three letters of recommendation. Letters must be no more than two years old, signed and dated, and from persons having first-hand knowledge of applicant’s professional qualities. Letters should address how the applicant’s qualifications and experience relate to the position.
Based on the minimum and/or desirable qualifications. Placement on the salary schedule is based on verification of experience, relevant degrees, and upper division/graduate course work.
Term of Employment
This is a full-time position, 172-day faculty contract, bargaining unit position, beginning with the Fall Semester of the 2019-2020 academic year.
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact the Director of Human Resources, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact Coordinator of Accommodations, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
6/1/2019 12:00:00 AM