Employer: City of Andover
Job Title: Skilled Parks Maintenance
Salary: $15.00 Hourly
Reports to: Grounds and Building Superintendent or Crew Chief
Pay Range: Salary is dependent on applicant's experience. The salary range is $14-$17/hour.
Primary Purpose of Position:
This work is skilled in nature, involving operation of specialized equipment and the maintenance of city facilities and grounds. The employee must be able to operate a variety of motorized equipment including: tractors, mowers, backhoe, snow plow, and dump truck used in the maintenance of city grounds. The employee must also be experienced in basic commercial building maintenance. Although the employee works under the direct supervision of the Grounds and Building Superintendent or Crew Chief, most tasks require working independently following prescribed instructions, procedures, and policies. The employee is also required to complete other tasks as assigned, especially as they relate to special event, city festival preparations and product purchasing.
1. Performs facility and grounds maintenance on city park property.
2. Routinely operates motorized equipment.
3. Assists in preparation of facilities and grounds for special events, rentals and festivals.
4. When working independently or with crew, ensures proper safety procedures are used.
5. Performs routine maintenance on city tools and equipment.
6. Performs snow removal from City grounds.
7. Other related duties as necessary.
Marginal Functions of Work: Custodial duties at city facilities.
Education and Experience
1. High school diploma or GED required.
2. Minimum one year of related work experience, or a combination of education and experience deemed relevant by the agency.
3. Must have a valid driver’s license.
1. Working knowledge of maintenance and operation of motorized equipment.
2. The ability to follow and comprehend written and oral instructions.
3. The ability to read and comprehend written materials, schematics, etc.
4. Must possess knowledge of safe working habits.
5. Must have specialized training, certificates or licenses in one of the following areas: arborist, irrigation, pesticide application, electric, welding, turf/landscape management, small engine repair, building operator maintenance, or Class B CDL.
Problem Solving -Routine daily tasks involve minor problem solving abilities, i.e., troubleshooting equipment breakdowns, etc.
Decision Making-Duties generally follow prescribed instruction however; employee must be able to display independent decision making capabilities on various issues. An employee in this position should be able to effectively gather necessary equipment and efficiently sequence duties.
Accountability-Employee is responsible for correct use of equipment and materials to prevent unwarranted damage, down time, or excessive consumption.
Supervision-Supervision is provided by the Grounds and Building Superintendent and the Parks Crew Chief.
Personal Relations-Routine contact with other city employees and the general public is common.
1. Heavy manual labor is required.
2. Extreme weather conditions and working with fuels and maintenance chemicals are factors in this position; frequent exposure to moving parts and machinery.
3. Accessing tight or cramped spaces and working at heights are occasionally encountered.
4. Personal protective equipment is frequently required.
Physical Requirements-The majority of the work involves physical labor and exertion to manually move, lift, carry, or push heavy objects or equipment possibly weighing 80 lbs. or more. Climbing in and out ditches and
manholes, bending, stooping, and/or shoveling as required; trimming trees, accessing light fixtures at heights, etc., frequently operates motorized equipment for extended periods of time.
6/4/2019 12:00:00 AM