To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Chanute
Division: Animal Control
Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Salary: $19.25 Hourly
THE CITY OF CHANUTE IS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR A FULL TIME ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER. RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO: ENHANCING PUBLIC SAFETY BY ENFORCING & ATTENDING TO THE WELFARE OF ANIMALS AND ENSURING ENFORCEMENT OF CITY LAWS GOVERNING THE CARE & KEEPING OF ANIMALS IN THE CITY; AND TO IMPOUND, CARE FOR & EUTHANIZE ANIMALS AS APPROPRIATE. TO EDUCATE THE PUBLIC ON LAWS AND ORDINANCES, SAFETY ISSUES, AND PROPER CARE OF ANIMALS. INVESTIGATE ANIMAL ABUSE, ABANDONMENT AND NEGLECT CASES. SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE, POSSESS A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED EQUIVALENT AND A VALID KANSAS DRIVER’S LICENSE. MUST BE ABLE TO EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE WITH THE PUBLIC BOTH VERBALLY AND IN WRITING. BE A SELF STARTER WITH ABILITY TO WORK INDEPENDENTLY. ABILITY TO NAVIGATE CITY STREETS WITH LITTLE TO NO DIFFICULTY. MUST SHOW AFFECTION & COMPASSION FOR ANIMALS AND A CONCERN FOR THEIR WELFARE. PREVIOUS ANIMAL HANDLING EXPERIENCE PREFERRED. KNOWLEDGE OF MUNICIPAL REGULATIONS, PROCEDURES AND PRACTICES A PLUS.
Responsible for the care & maintenance of animals in the City of Chanute. Provides a variety of routine & complex supervisory, clerical, and staff support duties within the administration of the City government. Works under the general supervision of the Chief of Police.
- Pick up and remove injured or dead animals from the City streets.
- Pick up and impound domestic animals running at large within the City.
- Attempt to identify the owner of all impounded animals.
- Destroy unclaimed animals in the authorized manner after the holding time limit specified by ordinance.
- Treat all animals humanely, clean pens daily, provide food and water.
- Enforce all City ordinances relating to animal control equally and fairly.
- Issue Notices to appear to persons violating animal ordinances; testify in Court.
- Make personal contact with each complainant, handle each call quickly and professionally.
- Respond to complaints of animals not being adequately cared for.
- Responsible for the maintenance, setting, checking and removal of all live animal traps.
- Maintain and keep records of all calls, impounded animals, and their disposition.
- Submit a monthly activity report on forms provided.
- Issue a receipt for all monies collected (pick-up, boarding and adoption fees), give money to the City Clerk.
- Operate a City of Chanute vehicle as needed.
- Perform all other duties as required.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License.
- Pass a background check and City physical & drug screen.
- Be self-motivated, have strong work ethic, good oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of municipal regulations, procedures and practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public and municipal officials.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather.
- Physically deal with various kinds of animals effectively and humanely.
6/10/2019 12:00:00 AM
6/28/2019 11:59:59 PM