To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: Geary County
Job Title: CORRECTION OFFICER
Salary: $14.75 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Correction Officer
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: 15- $14.75/hr.
Reports To: Corrections Sergeant PCN: VARIOUS
Department: Sheriff Date: November 2017
The job duties of the Correction Officer include but are not limited to take care of the needs of the inmates in the Geary County Detention Center; to provide the proper treatment, cleanliness, and basic care of the inmates and the facility; to ensure that the inmates are granted their constitutional rights; to enforce all federal, state, and local law resolutions; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public. Performs other duties as assigned.
Rotating Shifts: (Day) 7:45am – 8:00pm (Night) 7:45pm – 8:00am
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Correction Officer might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Correction Officer. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Inmate Security. Record all requests and activities of inmates including medical problems, medication, etc. Monitors jail activities via video monitors in control room, monitor recreation activities, chaplain visits, meetings such as AA, library program. Monitors jail visitation and take prisoners back and forth from visitation. Checks prisoners on a half-hour basis. Conducts routine shakedowns, pat searches and strip searches of inmates. Issues clean uniforms and bedding to inmates. Serves meals to prisoners. Dispenses commissary items as ordered by inmates. Monitor medical status of prisoners. Dispenses medications and notify physician of medical needs. Maintains the jail in a good clean order.
Book-In. Books in and processes inmates in and out of jail. Fingerprints and photographs inmates. Maintain accounting for prisoner money and possessions.
Transports. Transports and secures inmates to and from court, hospitals and doctor and other law enforcement agencies.
Administrative Tasks. Meets the public at the detention center and supervise visiting hours and AA meetings. Makes minor plumbing repairs, replace light bulbs and make adjustments to equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
- High school diploma or GED.
- A valid Kansas driver’s license.
- Must reside within a 60-mile radius of worksite within 90 days of employment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of law enforcement techniques and standards.
- Knowledge of constitutional rights of inmates and the proper application of the laws regarding those rights.
- Knowledge of cleaning and disinfecting solvents required for sanitation.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local ordinances, procedure manuals, SDS sheets, safety manuals; and warning labels.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, fax, scanner, computer and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to operate a camera, and video equipment.
- Ability to operate Livescan computerized fingerprinting system.
- Ability to operate emergency vehicles, radios, radar equipment, fire arms, Tazer, DUI enforcement and other related law enforcement equipment.
- Ability to use GIS and other systems/software.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to develop, interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, Federal, State, and local regulations, SDS sheets, safety manuals, operating and repair manuals, etc; and warning labels.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 100 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in both an indoor setting as well as outdoors.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather when required.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
6/17/2019 12:00:00 AM