To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Job Title: Utilities Locator
Salary: $15.10 Hourly
90% Utility Locating
- Locate underground utilities including: telecommunications, electric power, water, stormwater and sanitary sewer systems, ensuring safety and efficiency.
- Use utility maps, as-built civil engineering drawings, GIS information and various pipe and electronic locating equipment.
- Verify field information and notify GIS division regarding updates and corrections.
- Assist in shut down of mains for repairs or connections.
- Cross train and fill in as needed to assist in water, wastewater or storm water operations.
- Perform AMR drive by meter reading on a monthly basis.
- Support Utility Operators in the completion of work orders in the maintenance of distribution, collection and treatment operations.
- Assist in sampling and analyzing water for quality and compliance with applicable drinking water standards. Report results to the appropriate parties.
- Operate and maintain mechanical and electronic equipment
- Operate motor vehicle on a regular basis.
- Educate staff on performing utility locating.
- Assist the division in facility snow removal.
- Prepare various reports, forms and memos to document work completed, and problems encountered and/or resolved.
- Investigate and prepare detailed written documentation on excavations that result in damage to underground utilities.
- Operate multiple computer applications including a utility billing software, digital forms software, SCADA system, GIS mapping and radio read software.
- Perform work in accordance with established standards and in compliance with city and department policies and procedures.
- Provide recommendations and develop new policies, procedures, and ordinances to remain in compliance with regulatory agencies and protect the health and welfare of the public.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed to address business needs.
Latitude: Duties are assigned by supervisor. Most problem-solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Some decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently. All purchase requests must be approved by supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization and the general public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- One year underground utility locating experience or related field, preferred.
- Class I KDHE Wastewater or Water Operator certification, required within eighteen months of employment.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
- Valid Kansas commercial driver’s license with tanker endorsement, required within 90 days of employment.
- Must reside within a 30 minute lawful drive time of city limits.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of utility locating practices and procedures.
- General knowledge of materials, equipment, rules, regulations, and ordinances governing the installation, repair, and maintenance of underground utilities.
- Detail oriented and able to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to read and interpret utility maps and as-built civil engineering drawings
- Ability to locate underground utilities using electromagnetic locating, hydro excavating and dowsing.
- Ability to apply intermediate level mathematic skills.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Frequent exposure to adverse weather conditions, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Constant walking and standing. Frequent carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 50 pounds. Frequent exposure to confined spaces. Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting. Must be able to wear face masks. Must be available for overtime, weekends and holidays.
6/20/2019 12:00:00 AM