To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: Geary County
Division: Community Corrections
Job Title: Administrative Secretary
Salary: $13.00 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Administrative Secretary
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: $13.00/hr
Reports To: Community Corrections Director PCN: DC1002
Department: Community Corrections Date: March 2019
The job duties of the Community Corrections Administrative Secretary include but are not limited to provide administrative assistance to the Director; to perform office administrative, secretarial, advanced clerical and support functions; to assist the Director with technical and general administrative duties; serve as a liaison with other departments, staff, outside agencies and the general public; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to all county residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Community Corrections Administrative Secretary might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Community Corrections Administrative Secretary. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Administrative Support. Perform office administrative, secretarial, advanced clerical and programmatic support functions. Compile, prepare, and enter data into a computer from various sources. Maintain tracking information and reports including assigned databases, records and lists. Create statistical spreadsheets when needed. Manage Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, payroll and benefits for the department. Order supplies; arrange for equipment repair, etc. Serve as secretary at meetings of boards and committees as assigned. Assist in preparing and distributing agenda packets and correspondence.
Public Relations. Serve as a liaison between assigned office and the general public, staff, and outside groups and agencies. Investigate and answer complaints; provide assistance in resolving operational and administrative problems. Refer complaints to appropriate staff for further assistance if needed. Explain programs, policies and activities related to specific program area of assignment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Three (3) years of secretarial, clerical and office experience.
- One (1) year of accounts payable and/or receivable experience.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Must pass annual criminal background check, including Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry check and fingerprints.
- Associate degree in business administration, office management, secretarial science or related field is preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of Community Corrections.
- Knowledge of those policies and procedures unique and specific to Geary County and the 8th Judicial District.
- Working knowledge of the criminal justice system.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with probation departments, outside service providers, and the community.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, Federal, State, and local regulations, safety manuals, operating and repair manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software, etc.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience with setting up accounts in QuickBooks.
- Must understand and be able to work within Excel.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to communicate information and teach and train others regarding policies and processes in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to assist with preparing annual budget for grant renewals.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 20 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works primarily in an office setting.
- Nature of the work may place employee in varying levels of stressful situations.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
6/24/2019 12:00:00 AM