Employer: City of Haysville
Division: Administrative Services Department
Job Title: Planning & Zoning Administrator
Salary: $19.35 Hourly
PLANNING & ZONING ADMINISTRATOR
Under the supervision of the Chief Administrative Officer, the Planning & Zoning Administrator is a non-exempt position under FLSA which performs administrative duties. Responsible for coordinating the activities of the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals. Must maintain absolute confidentiality of information, data and records obtained through or because of employment with the City.
• Compiles development information and assists in the preparation of studies and reports for decision making purposes.
• Attends board and committee meetings as required;
• Coordinates and manages planning and consultant contracts;
• Provides zoning and subdivision information upon request;
• Prepares planning budget;
• Assists in the implementation of certain plans;
• Develops and maintains database of information;
• Coordinates contracted studies and reports;
• Prepares grant applications;
• Fields questions, concerns, and complaints from the general public;
• Performs traffic counts/studies;
• Follows department policies and procedures;
• Follows safety procedures and practices.
• Registers legal documents with the Register of Deeds;
• Presents and promotes city sponsored events to civic organizations and clubs;
• Assists with the operation of Channel 7;
• Assists other departments;
• Performs other duties as deemed necessary.
Experience: One to three years of similar or related experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within one year of employment.
Education: A college degree in Planning, Public Administration or related field is required (experience may be substituted for education requirements with a minimum of High School diploma or GED – a certified transcript will be accepted in lieu of a diploma). Must possess a valid Kansas Driver’s License (or obtain within 30 days of employment).
Technical Skills: Thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local statutes, laws, and ordinances, city zoning and subdivision regulations, grant applications, and budget preparation is required. Working knowledge of computers and mathematics is required. Must operate computers, typewriters, photocopiers, calculators, telephones, and other department equipment. Must prepare reports, budgets, grant applications, and other documents, interpret data, understand and anticipate problems, and read and interpret budget documents, reports, and other written instructions. Should possess excellent supervisory, public relation, and organizational skills, and oral and written communication skills in English. Must maintain absolute confidentiality of information, data and records obtained through or because of employment with the City.
Problem Solving: Frequent independent problem solving. Encounters problems with citizen concerns and complaints, and zoning regulations.
Decision Making: Frequent independent decision making. Makes decisions about budget preparation, resolving citizen concerns and complaints and personnel issues, and performing daily duties in the most efficient manner. Decisions often made in stressful situations.
Supervision: Works under the direction of the Deputy Administrative Officer. Has no supervisory responsibilities.
Financial Accountability: Responsible for department equipment. Does participate in the annual budget process. Has authority to purchase necessary supplies.
Personal Relations: Frequent contact with the general public, subordinate personnel, co-workers, and supervisory personnel. Frequent contact with the governing body.
Working Conditions: Some adverse working conditions exist. Working in an office setting with a computer is the primary aspect. Exposure to adverse weather can be expected. Deals with the general public including angry and upset people.
Physical Requirements: Frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must safely operate a vehicle.
7/11/2019 12:00:00 AM
7/25/2019 11:59:59 PM