To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Garden City Community College
Job Title: Financial Aid Advisor
Assists students with the financial aid process from inquiries to disbursement of funds. Develop and maintain the loan default prevention program.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Processes documents needed to complete students' financial aid files. Prepares correspondence, enters data, packages awards for funds disbursement and formats forms relating to financial aid. Monitor Satisfactory Academic Progress in conjunction with awarding & verification.
- Maintains supply of Financial Aid forms including documents from Department of Education.
- Assists students, parents and college employees with financial aid inquiries, loan information and application procedures in person, in writing, by telephone, internet, fax or email.
- Manage the student loan default prevention program.
- Serve on campus committees and task forces.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- To maintain a current knowledge of federal, state, and institutional packaging policies and procedures that pertain to financial assistance.
- To demonstrate intrinsic motivation with little supervision; staying busy, following up on projects with little prompting.
- To have a positive and productive working relationship with co-workers and college personnel is required.
- Explore technologies and means for accurate and effective strategies for improving department and college processes.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: Six months to two years of similar or related experience.
Education: (1) A two year college degree or (2) Completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school or (3) Completion of a specialized and extensive in-house training or apprenticeship program.
Interpersonal Skills: Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves much personal contact with others inside and/or outside the college for purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relationships, or soliciting cooperation.
Other Skills: One to two years of experience in financial aid or related field is preferred. Ability to operate computer equipment and software including word processing, spreadsheet and internal database mainframe for record keeping and communication purposes required (Microsoft Office products preferred). Decision-making, problem-solving and effective time management is a must. Equivalent to a two-year college degree or completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school required. Bachelor's degree in business, management or related field is preferred. Excellent interpersonal, oral communication and customer service skills are required. Ability to maintain confidential information in a professional manner is required. Good written and oral communication skills are required.
Physical Requirements: The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items, driving an autromobile, etc. There could be occasionally lifting of heavy objects up to 50 pounds such as boxes of paper.
Work Environment: Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Salary: Based on qualifications and experience.
Apply: Position will remain open until filled.
Starting Date: As soon as possible after selection.
To complete the application process, candidates must submit:
- Application letter expressing interest in position.
- Personal resume
- Fill out online application at www.hrepartners.com
- Copy of college transcripts and appropriate certificates
- Up to three current letters of recommendation submitted directly to the Director of Human Resources by the individual providing the reference
Contact: Human Resources Office
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
(620) 276-0362; FAX (620) 276-9573
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact Human Resources, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact the Coordinator of Accommodations, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
7/16/2019 12:00:00 AM