To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: WSU Tech
Division: Finance & Administration/Operations/Security
Job Title: Part Time Security Officer
Salary: $14.50 Hourly
At the WSU Campus of Applied Sciences and Technology (WSU Tech) we are DRIVEN by our mission of creating opportunities for a better life to our students and providing the best trained workforce for area employers.
You are to deliver ENTHUSIASTIC, POSITIVE, and EXCEPTIONAL service, regardless of the job, working for our students, other employees, and community partners/employers.
Show GRIT and GRACE and strive to give it your all 100% of the time, because you are to be of service. You will serve our students and your co-workers who deserve your best.
The security officer is required to: provide personal, equipment and real property security for faculty, staff, students and visitors to the College; provide escort services and other basic public assistance services as needed; perform routine security and public safety patrol duties; remain alert to emergency situations and provide first-line emergency management and/or referrals if required. Officers are responsible for the detection and reporting of safety or security concerns at the College; execution of public safety and building evacuation plans, routine drills and training exercises.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively patrols buildings and parking lots to ensure personnel, building and property security, including the examination of all doors and windows on property. Additionally, to detect the presence of unauthorized persons and/or suspicious activity.
- Maintains security controls for keys, equipment and supplies. Provides appropriate access to/use of same to open and/or secure buildings.
- Provides escort services for visitors, students, faculty and staff, as necessary.
- Provides other public assistance (such as acting as an informational point of reference for guests, staff and students).
- Works in cooperation with appropriate agencies and college personnel to maintain work place/personal safety and security, and to protect others against work place violence.
- Responds immediately to provide entrance and egress to/from buildings in emergency situations or response to alarm calls.
- Observes and reports irregularities such as security breaches, facility safety hazards, and emergency situations. Reports life threatening conditions and/or property damage to authorities and designated personnel when appropriate and take immediate action (in accordance with applicable training) until emergency responders arrive.
- Contacts emergency responders such as law enforcement, fire, and EMS as necessary.
- Directs traffic on campus property as needed.
- Assists in building evacuations and/or lock-downs as needed.
- Advises violators of infractions, such as loitering, smoking, parking in unauthorized locations or carrying forbidden articles of their error and direct to appropriate location.
- Performs periodic checks of safety equipment such as fire extinguishers, alarm systems, security cameras and reports malfunctions as necessary.
- Prepares routine reports as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Safety Director, College Administrator or Designee.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed:
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Associatesdegree, preferred
- Documented completion of active or prior commission through KLETC, WSCLETC, FLECT or other approved Law Enforcement Training agency, required.
- Possess current licensure/certification/registration as required by profession.
- Free of any felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions involving a sex offence or violence, including any expunged records
Other Position Requirements:
- Work effectively and productively as a team member. Keep others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintain effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Use diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrate effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintain acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensure appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produce quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identify what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Complete assigned work; meet deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Perform work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Participate in a minimum of 20 hours professional development activities per year to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
Applicants must have an awareness that places a high value on detecting, deterring and reporting safety and security exposures such as crime, safety hazards, fire hazards, theft, intrusions, and vandalism. This employee may be in direct contact with these types of activities/hazards and their associated risks on a daily basis. Additionally, it may be necessary to vary work hours to provide coverage for campuses and necessitate occasional overtime. Physical abilities needed to perform job: stair climbing, walking/running, lifting, climbing, squatting, bending, stooping, reaching, pushing and pulling. This position Involves working both indoors and outdoors
7/29/2019 12:00:00 AM