Pay Range: Salary is dependent on applicant's experience. The salary range is $12.50-$14/hour.
Primary Purpose of Position
This work is routine and semi-skilled in nature, and the employee must be able to operate a variety of motorized equipment including: tractors, mowers, backhoe, and snow removal equipment used in the maintenance of city grounds. Employee assists in commercial building maintenance. Although the employee works under the direct supervision of the Grounds and Building Superintendent or Crew Chief, some tasks may require working independently following prescribed instructions, procedures, and policies. The employee is also required to complete other tasks as assigned, especially as they relate to special event or city festival preparations.
- Performs maintenance on city parks grounds and facilities.
- Performs routine mechanical maintenance on city equipment.
- Mows grass, manages weeds, and cuts brush with and without power equipment.
- Performs snow removal on City grounds.
- Custodial duties at city facilities.
- Other related duties as necessary.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred but not required.
- 6 months related work experience preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Working knowledge of maintenance and operation of motorized equipment.
- Familiarity with zero-turn mowers, weed eaters, hand mowers, chainsaws.
- Working knowledge of common hand tools and power tools.
- The ability to follow and comprehend written and oral instructions.
- Must possess knowledge of safe working habits.
Problem Solving: Routine daily tasks involve minor problem solving abilities, i.e. troubleshooting equipment breakdowns.
Decision Making: Limited decision making exists in this position. Duties follow prescribed instructions, procedures, and policies.
Accountability: Employee is responsible for correct use of equipment and materials to prevent unwarranted damage, down time, or excessive consumption.
Supervision: Supervision is provided by the Parks Superintendent and the Parks Crew Chief.
Personal Relations: Routine contact with other city employees and the general public.
- Heavy manual labor is required.
- Extreme weather conditions and working with fuels and maintenance chemicals are factors in this position; frequent exposure to moving parts and machinery.
- Accessing tight or cramped spaces and working at heights are occasionally encountered.
- Personal protective equipment is frequently required.
Physical Requirements: The majority of the work involves physical labor and exertion to manually move, lift, carry, or push heavy objects or equipment possibly weighing 80 lbs. or more. Climbing in and out ditches and manholes, bending, stooping, and/or shoveling as required; trimming trees, accessing light fixtures at heights, etc., frequently operates motorized equipment for extended periods of time.