To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Liberal
Job Title: Sports Tourism Coordinator
Sports Tourism Coordinator
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to handle a variety of administrative details for the Recreation Department. The Sports Tourism Coordinator position performs a variety of tasks and assists in the direction, development, and coordination of programs, activities, policies and procedures for The City of Liberal. Responsible for promoting and selling Liberal, KS as the destination for sport related events, activities and competitions through innovative sales and marketing efforts to increase the quality and quantity of these activities in alignment with the overall strategic objectives of the City of Liberal. Work requires the use of initiative and judgment and is performed under the general direction of the Recreation Director. Contact with the public is an important element of this position.
The primary function of this key position is to assist in the administration, direction, planning and organization of the sports, sales and promotional programs and activities of Liberal, Ks. The primary activities include oversight of sports marketing, assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of strategic, fiscal and marketing plans, monitor the departmental budget, oversee the total operation of the division and its personnel, programs and planning; recruit, develop long-term strategic alliances within the local community; work cooperatively with local and regional tourism industry partners such as airports, chambers of commerce and sports organizations.
The position is primarily responsible for oversight and management of the sports marketing efforts and the staff members assigned those duties including day to day management of sports event solicitation, negotiating, scheduling and execution of events.
Work performed with considerable independence, but reviewed by the Recreation Director for effectiveness and conformance with polices. Work is evaluated through results of contacts and resulting events from conferences, periodic reports and observations.
Extensive experience in sports event sales and event management. This position requires excellent people skills, strong initiative, independent judgment and strong communication skills.
- Defines critical success factors, monitors progress, and prepares work plans and tactics for implementation to ensure successful execution of the sport tourism strategy.
- Oversees marketing development activities, and leads related research projects to promote the benefit of sport tourism, including economic impact.
- Develops, plans and manages a database of available sport events.
- Identifies and pursues leads, securing new sport related events and meetings for the region.
- Provides input into the structuring of major domestic competitions, developing linkages to sport tourism.
- Communicates and negotiates with promotional partners as needed for joint marketing activities.
- Plans and organizes advisory committee meetings, and liaises with members.
- Establishes and maintains communication with all committees, representatives, and officials associated with sport tourism in the region.
- Works in collaboration with the Recreation Director to set budgets, and develop the strategy and terms of reference.
- Provides vision and leadership, and identifies strategic relationships, partnerships and sport tourism opportunities.
- Additional Duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist in directing and managing the day-to-day efforts of a destination marketing plan, overseeing sales efforts, groups meetings and leisure travel efforts.
Assist in developing long-term strategic alliances with diverse corporations and industries. Oversee development of creative work, including brochures, print ads, electronic ads and web development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Knowledge of current sports sales and marketing strategies
- Ability to focus on City of Liberal’s strategic long term tourism goals
- Ability to assist in the annual budget
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, supervise and evaluate comprehensive administrative activities.
- Unrelenting drive for business results and strives for successful outcomes to ensure that long term plans become a reality.
- Strong results-based business development acumen.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial, creative, energetic, self-motivated, and results-oriented.
- Exhibits an executive presence in groups, with exceptional communication skills, including internal team communications, presentations and public speaking skills.
- Collaborative with the ability to work cross functionally and with other organizations productively and constructively.
- Adheres to the highest degree of ethics, diplomacy and tactfulness, which includes solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Inspires action and high performance.
- Comfortable acting as a key contributor in a fast-paced organization
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, LICENSING:
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in marketing, sports management, business administration, public administration or related field.
Five years responsible, professional experience in marketing, tourism, sports marketing, strategic planning or in related fields.
Possession of a valid Kansas driver’s license with an acceptable driving record may be required.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Ability to attend community and business events on some evenings and weekends
- Bending/stooping, working on a computer, repetitive motion, sitting constantly, traveling, walking.
8/8/2019 12:00:00 AM