Employer: Riley County
Job Title: Health Department Administrator
Salary: $101473.00 Annually
RILEY COUNTY, KANSAS JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: HEALTH DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATOR
Department: Health Department Division: Administration
Reports To: Board of County Commissioners
Pay Grade: II Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: As the local health officer, the Administrator leads the Health Department in carrying out its mission to promote and protect the health of Riley County-Manhattan residents. The duties of the local health officer are authorized by state law (K.S.A. 65-202) as well as local resolution and ordinances. The Administrator plans and establishes Health Department programs and services, reviews all agency activities, works cooperatively with staff from various local and state agencies, ensures compliance with public health statutes and regulations, and performs complex professional and administrative work.
Permanent residency within Riley County is required within one calendar year from date of appointment or hire.
- Provides administrative support to the Board of County Commissioners so that it can effectively fulfill its responsibilities for public health. .
- Assists the Board with developing a strategic plan that includes a prioritization of public health program offerings, measureable program outcomes, and Health Department capacity building strategies.
- Implements the strategic plan of the Board.
- Reports the Department’s performance against the outcomes described in the strategic plan semi-annually and annually.
- Collects data and information about the health needs of all segments of the city/county.
- Proposes solutions for adaptations of current services or proposes new programs to meet identified and anticipated health needs.
- Informs the Board about financial status, service delivery, and program developments and circumstances/factors that may influence the welfare of the Health Department.
- Ensures that the duties of health officer as authorized by state law and local resolution and ordinance are carried out.
- Plans and establishes programs and services of the Health Department and directs all agency activities.
- Oversees budget and financial management and maintains financial reporting systems that provide an accurate depiction of the financial status of the Health Department.
- Ensures accountability and compliance with grants and contracts.
- Recruits and hires staff and provides for their training and supervision.
- Collaborates and coordinates with agencies and groups providing health-related services and coordinates Health Department activities with these agencies and groups whenever possible.
- Serves as the public relations ambassador to describe public health philosophy and practice to elected officials, community partners, and the public.
- Regularly communicates information regarding public health and the mission of the Health Department to the public through publications, meetings, and the media.
- Ensures compliance with statutes and regulations pertaining to public health.
- Represents public health needs to state agencies/organizations, state legislators, and national organizations.
- Assumes command for public health emergencies and works in incident command structure with other emergency response partners.
- Functions autonomously with considerable independence and judgment.
- Provides for on-call response to public health emergencies at all times.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: Develop changes in goals, policies, and programs based on problems, county’s future growth, and information developed through studies & analysis.
Education: A Master’s degree in public health, public administration, or a related field from an accredited college or university is required. Equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be accepted.
Experience: Five (5) years’ progressively more responsible experience in administration of public health programs and policy. Two (2) years’ experience in government fiscal operations.
Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and objectives of public health theory and public health administration and their application. Thorough understanding and practice of ethical and legal issues associated with public health administration. Thorough knowledge of community health problems and community resources that can be used to assist in solving those problems.
Skills: Demonstrate knowledge of information technology and data management. Working knowledge of insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid regulations and third party reimbursement. Working knowledge of the principles and practices of financial and managerial accounting.
Working knowledge of computer software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, medical records, etc.
- Ability to read and comprehend written material of a highly technical nature.
- Ability to organize and effectively retrieve data.
- Ability to compose and proofread business correspondence in order to provide written communications that are grammatically correct and properly punctuated.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills in order to communicate with the public and staff in a highly professional and competent manner.
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts.
- Ability to understand and retain detailed information pertaining to State and Federal laws.
- Ability to perform data entry and statistical analysis.
- Ability to prepare highly technical and complex worksheets and reports on spreadsheets.
Relationship with the Board of County Commissioners
1. Informs the Board regarding Health Department issues, needs, and operations.
2. Prepares and distributes a written weekly activity report to the Board.
3. Prepares the agenda for Board of Health meetings in cooperation with the board president, prepares the materials that accompany the meeting agenda, and as board secretary ensures that meeting minutes are accurately recorded.
4. Serves on board committees as requested by the Board or board president.
5. Understands, accepts, and executes Board directives.
6. Conducts orientation of new board members as needed.
7. Maintains professional and impartial relationships with individual members of the Board of Health.
Managerial, Professional, and Leadership Skills
1. Provides administrative oversight of the Health Department and the Family and Child Resource Center.
2. Establishes administrative policies and procedures.
3. Directs all human resource functions including hiring, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of staff performance, scheduling, discipline, grievances, and termination of staff.
4. Develops and implements board approved succession plans and cross training opportunities for all employees.
5. Develops and presents researched recommendations to the Board regarding cost of living increases, health insurance, and agency contribution to the cafeteria plan.
6. Develops and presents researched recommendations to the Board regarding adjustments to the salary schedule.
7. Develops an annual planning calendar for the Board and staff.
8. Actively engages staff in problem solving, planning, and policy development in order to create an environment of mutual respect and trust.
9. Pursues ongoing professional development for self and encourages and provides the same for staff.
10. Attends and participates in local, state, and national conferences and meetings and gives presentations when appropriate.
Business and Finance
1. Develops an annual balanced budget and presents it to the Board.
2. Develops fee schedules, billing, and collection practices within board policy.
3. Maintains a clear and transparent audit trail.
4. Seeks and secures funding from diversified source including but not limited to federal and state grants, local government appropriations, and private sector partnerships.
5. Ensures proper administration and coordination of grant funded programs and activities.
6. Ensures grant reports are accurate and completed and submitted according to funder requirements.
7. Authorized to sign contracts with board approval.
1. Represents the Health Department in a professional and positive manner.
2. Represents the Health Department as a member of the local chamber of commerce and other community organizations as mutually agreed upon with the Board of Health.
3. Establishes relationships and strong lines of communication with the administrators of other local and state level health-related agencies and groups and governmental entities as well as with individual community members who are interested in Health Department programs and services.
4. Identifies and seeks out opportunities to collaborate and cooperate with representatives from Fort Riley and from the state and federal government regarding public health initiatives.
5. Ensures that the health department is involved in discussions regarding public safety related to the federal research laboratory and other biotechnology companies which may choose to have a presence in Manhattan/Riley County.
6. Solicits input from various groups and organizations regarding health concerns of the community and directs attention to identified problems as resources allow.
7. Develops and implements a comprehensive public relations and marketing plan that includes the use of the media, website, promotional materials, etc. in order to inform the community about health department services and public health issues.
Personal Qualities Impacting Job Performance
1. Able to inspire a shared vision for the organization by envisioning the future and creating an ideal and unique image of what the organization can become.
2. Looks for innovative ways to improve the organization.Experiments and takes risks.
3. Persuasive and able to help others see what is possible.
4. Cooperative, dependable, patient, respectful, considerate, and courteous.Sets an example for others to follow regarding the way people should be treated.
5. Possesses excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
6. Maintains high standards of ethics, honesty, and integrity in all personal and professional matters.
7. Able to analyze issues and think logically when presented with unexpected questions or circumstances.
8. Collaborates, negotiates, and problem solves in order to identify solutions to problems.
9. Recognizes the contributions of others, shares successes, and celebrates accomplishments.
10. Accepts responsibility for mistakes.Accepts disappointments as learning opportunities.
11. Able to control emotions under pressure.
Access to Protected Health Information
The Administrator shall ensure enforcement of HIPAA laws, rules, and standards and shall have access to the minimum necessary electronic and paper files containing client protected health information necessary for carrying out position responsibilities.
Supervisory Controls: This position works independently without daily supervision in accordance with established policies and procedures with occasional supervisory oversight from the Board of County Commissioners.
Interacts with a variety of individuals in a number of settings which influences the public’s perceptions of the quality of the services provided by the Riley County Health Department.
A person in this position is responsible for independently planning, designing, prioritizing and scheduling their own work and the work of others. Their work is occasionally reviewed except for meeting general overall program objectives.
Supervisory Responsibility: This person manages and directs the operations of the Health Department. This position directly supervises a small staff of professional and technical employees and indirectly supervises approximately 40 other Health Department employees.
Complexity: The job involves a variety of disciplines, i.e., business management, accounting, public health, business statistics, communication, business with individuals & groups, and human relations. Decisions must be made as to procedures and methods to be used in accomplishing the public health task in any given situation.
Scope & Effect of Work: Proper administration of this department has a direct effect upon services to clients in public health for Riley County, the funding of county, state, Federal grant programs. This position is responsible for making sound decisions that limit the County’s liability exposure, improve public relations and enhance the County’s professional image. If errors are made, the County’s image is affected, accountability is lost, operations and projects are slowed or failed, services are not well provided and people’s life’s are affected and/or threatened.
Working Environment/Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to cope with stress brought about from interacting with potentially irate and/or defensive members of the public or health department staff.
• Must be able to interact with the public and staff with tact.
• Must be highly organized and able to perform in a professional manner at all times.
• Must be able to exercise independent judgment in evaluating completeness and accuracy of information.
• Must be able to prioritize and follow through on multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Must be able to logically analyze situations and resolve discrepancies and correct errors.
• Sedentary work.
• Sits for prolonged periods of time.
• Lifts objects weighing up to 40 pounds occasionally.
Valid Driver’s License and eligible to operate an agency-owned vehicle.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
8/12/2019 12:00:00 AM
9/16/2019 11:59:59 PM