To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Liberal
Job Title: Tourism Assistant
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to perform skilled secretarial and general clerical work, which requires typing, filing and related activities for the Convention and Tourism Department. Independent judgment in the disposition of routine matters for one or more supervisors is normally an important element of these positions. This class is distinguished from the Convention and Tourism Assistant II primarily by fewer duties requiring decisions affecting programs or administrative operations, a less complex series of secretarial and clerical tasks, and the absence of regular supervision exercised over clerical and secretarial assistants.
- Types documents from clear copy or rough draft on a computer terminal or typewriter;
- Types and records information on a variety of activities in a department and answers follow-up inquiries concerning such records;
- Composes and types correspondence on routine matters requiring knowledge of departmental operations and regulations using standardized formats;
- Proofreads and edits documents;
- Sorts, indexes, and files materials numerically, alphabetically or by some other predetermined classification according to established procedures;
- Retrieves/tracks files or information for manual and automated computer files;
- Checks file folders and file cards for necessary information prior to filing in the records system;
- Creates and maintains complex filing systems primarily involving a variety of subject matter;
- Answers varied inquiries, over the phone or in person, explaining policies and procedures and resolving routine questions or problems independently;
- Acts as a receptionist, greeting visitors, responding to phone inquiries and directing or routing to appropriate personnel;
- Operate common office equipment incidental to clerical assignments;
- Performs physical inventories of office supplies to determine level or amount for reorder;
- Schedules and maintains calendar for conference room bookings;
- Schedules meetings by personally contacting participants by phone;
- Checks records and documents for completeness, clerical and mathematical accuracy, and processes for further action;
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proper business English, spelling, and grammar.
- Basic arithmetic such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Office practices, procedures, and equipment operations.
- Operate a typewriter, word processor, microcomputer, personal computer, or other keyboard device.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions given in the English language.
- Comprehend and make inferences from material written in the English language.
- Work cooperatively with other City employees and the general public.
- Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
- Sort, separate, arrange, file or distribute incoming and outgoing mail.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Office Environment; exposure to computer screens.
- Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; extensive use of computer keyboard.
- Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time at a public service counter.
- Remain in a sitting position for extended periods of time.
- Bend or stoop repeatedly to retrieve files or books from low shelves.
- Enter data or information into a terminal, PC, or other keyboard device.
- Move light objects weighing less than 20 pounds, such as mail, supplies, and files short distances.
- Some positions require the use of a personal or City vehicle on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid drivers' license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
- Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work assignment, location, or shift.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
One year of secretarial experience, including training in typing and the use of modern office and document processing equipment. Other combinations of experience and education that meets the minimum requirements may be substituted.
Working Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 8am-5pm
Benefits: Full benefits
- 457 Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Vacation/Sick time
9/4/2019 12:00:00 AM