To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Equipment Operator
Salary: $14.75 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Equipment Operator
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: 15
Reports To: Road and Bridge Supervisor PCN: Various
Department: Public Works
The job duties of the Equipment Operator include but are not limited to provide road and bridge maintenance and construction, construction and maintenance materials handling, and facilities maintenance; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Equipment Operator might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County resolutions for the position of Equipment Operator or other designated equipment job descriptions. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Road Maintenance. Operates equipment such as tandem dump truck, mowers, tractors, front-end loader in the maintenance of county roads and bridges. Loads materials and performs manual work as required. Installs tubes and culverts, repair drainage system damage. Builds fences and guardrails and repair and rebuild bridges including concrete work, minor demolition. Mows and cuts brush. Works as a flag person. Removes snow in the winter. Mows roadside grass. Pours concrete for public works projects. Hauls material such as clay, rock, sand, etc. Removes dead animals and other hazards from roadways. Operates equipment and work zone in a safe manner. Install signs.
Equipment Maintenance. Performs minor vehicle maintenance. Performs light mechanical work. Performs welding or cutting iron tasks.
Administrative Tasks. Accurately completes required paperwork including time worked, time on task, locations and quantity of material used.
Building and Grounds Maintenance. Handles various assignments including general maintenance work of painting, moving furniture, building bleachers, cleanup of grounds. Maintains lawns and sidewalks. Removes limbs, branches and trees. Uses small and large power tools such as chain saws, wood chipper, etc. Cleans shop as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year of experience in truck driving
- A current Class A Kansas CDL.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance.
- Knowledge of safety operations of equipment.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
- Ability to operate various types of equipment I.e. tandem truck, semi-tractor trailer, or front-end loader and other related equipment.
- Ability to use two-way radios, computer, fax machine, measuring tapes, levels, hand tools, power tools, chain saws and other machinery.
- Ability to use GPS and GIS data relating to county landmarks, roads, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment I.e. tandem truck, loader, tractor, and other related equipment
- Ability to use two-way radios, computer, fax machine, measuring tapes, levels, hand tools, power tools, and other machinery.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to communicate and convey information regarding policies and processes to others in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 50 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to operate equipment and machinery in all types of weather conditions including snow removal in the winter.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
9/9/2019 12:00:00 AM