To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Street Operator
75% Street Maintenance
- Repair and maintain all city streets, curbs, and sidewalks.
- Clean, repair, and patch potholes and cracks.
- Paint street markings, crosswalks, street lane lines, and other necessary markings.
- Clean city streets with street sweeper.
- Pour and finish concrete for city sidewalks, ADA improvements, valley gutters and special projects.
- Remove snow and ice from city streets.
- Operate motor vehicle and other equipment as required on a regular basis.
20% Facilities and Equipment
- Maintain all division equipment in a good and working order.
- Troubleshoot problems with department equipment.
- Clear and remove snow and ice from city facilities.
- Organize and maintain the division facilities in a clean and safe condition.
- Participate in building, repairing, and maintaining shelters and buildings on public grounds. This includes roofing, general construction, concrete work, and painting.
- Prepare facilities and equipment for winter or adverse weather when needed.
- May provide instruction to new employees in the proper method of completing tasks.
5% Storm Drainage System
- Clean and maintain streams, channels, and storm water systems within the city.
- Clean storm drain inlets.
- Repair and maintain storm drains, culverts and any drainage channels or ditches
- Repair and or maintain water retention ponds as part of the storm drainage system.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Problem solving requiring is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Some decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently based on city policy. All purchase requests must be approved by supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization and the general public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- One year related experience, preferred.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
- Valid Kansas commercial driver’s license, required within 90 days of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of pavements maintenance and repair.
- General knowledge of grounds maintenance, basic construction techniques, and basic mechanics.
- Ability to apply intermediate mathematics skills
- Ability to read and understand blueprints
- Ability to operate all department equipment.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Requirements: Frequent (90%) exposure to adverse weather conditions, high noise levels, and hazardous situations. Frequent (40%) carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 50 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting. Must be available for on-call and overtime.
9/26/2019 12:00:00 AM