To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Liberal
Job Title: Solid Waste Technician
SOLID WASTE TECHNICIAN
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to perform a variety of manual and semi-skilled tasks associated with the delivery and repair of the City's refuse containers. Employees are responsible for the receipt and inventory of all containers and associated parts, and for operating equipment necessary in the delivery and disposal of containers. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Solid Waste Inspections Supervisor.
- Assembles, disassembles, and repairs refuse containers using air wrenches, compressors, impact wrenches, drills and other hand tools;
- Loads and unloads refuse containers onto and off of trailers;
- Keeps accurate inventory records of containers and associated parts;
- Salvages usable parts from damaged containers which cannot be repaired;
- Cleans used containers using a steam compressor;
- Operates a variety of equipment including fork-lift, one-ton pick up, stake bed truck with trailer, brush truck, and rear loader in the delivery of refuse containers;
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Safe methods of lifting heavy refuse containers.
- Move heavy objects such as refuse containers weighing 50 pounds or more, short distances (20 feet or less).
- Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements.
- Work cooperatively with other City employees.
- Make precise arm-hand positioning movements and maintain static arm-hand position to operate an electric hand drill.
- Make skillful, controlled manipulations of small objects (examples: assemble pegs, washers, collar units, and inserts them in a small hole).
- Bend or stoop repeatedly or continually over time.
- Travel across rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Some positions require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
- Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment, or shift.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Six months of heavy manual work and some experience which provides skill in the use of tools such as air compressors, air wrenches, impact wrenches, electric drills and other hand tools. Some positions require the ability to read and write. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
10/3/2019 12:00:00 AM