To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Derby
Job Title: Station Officer
Salary: $18.18 Hourly
55% Protection of Life and Property
- Enforce state laws and city ordinances.
- Conduct criminal and traffic investigations.
- Apprehend violators in a safe and constitutional manner following established rules and regulations.
- Assist citizens with personal, family, and social problems. Intervene in domestic disputes and make referrals to appropriate agencies.
- Answer citizen complaints and take necessary action.
- Investigate suspicious conditions and complaints.
- Alert citizens of hazardous and dangerous conditions.
- Assist in municipal court to ensure that court is conducted in an orderly manner.
- Staff the information desk located in the lobby of the Police/Courts building and provide customer service to citizens entering the building.
30% Administrative Duties
- Conduct crime prevention activities as needed.
- Complete all necessary official forms and reports.
- Prepare cases for successful prosecution.
- Provide courtroom testimony when necessary.
- Perform bailiff duties on court day.
- Attend schools and seminars to maintain proficiency and certifications.
- Participate in training and drill sessions, tests, and evaluations.
- Assist with training new employees when necessary.
- Be a resource for citizens on child safety seats
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis. Negotiation, persuasion, tact, and diplomacy are essential for effectively performing tasks.
Latitude: Most duties are assigned and then the employee arranges tasks in order to complete duties. Problem-solving and decision-making involving the protection of life and property is accomplished independently most of the time.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Some college, preferred.
- Must have satisfied all requirements as set forth in K.S.A. 74-5605 “Qualifications of Applicant (Police Officer) for Training Course Requirements.”
- Must complete 40 hours of continuing education training annually as required.
- Two years of experience in public contact work, preferred.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of law enforcement techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of all federal, state, and local ordinances governing police activities.
- Ability to apply intermediate level mathematics skills.
- Ability to operate firearms, patrol vehicles, mobile/portable/base radios, crime scene processing equipment, and all other police related equipment.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to access, input, process, and retrieve information from the computer.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to provide reliable courtroom testimony. Criminal convictions for acts of dishonesty, or sustained disciplinary findings of misconduct related to truthfulness, racial bias, or other acts that would lead to potential impeachment of courtroom testimony as detailed in Brady v. Maryland or Giglio v. U.S. will be cause for disqualification for applicants and termination for employees.
Environmental Conditions/Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to pass and maintain all physical requirements and activities of the law enforcement training center. Exposure to dangerous, and hazardous situations. Apprehension of alleged criminals. Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting.
10/11/2019 12:00:00 AM