To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Great Bend
Job Title: Director of Public Works
Under general supervision of the City Administrator, performs supervisory and administrative guidance related to the day-to-day operation of all facets of the Public Works Department, including street maintenance and construction, water utilities, wastewater treatment, code enforcement, storm water management, snow and ice removal, the compost site, flood control maintenance, and engineering. This position is FLSA exempt.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Under general supervision of the City Administrator, performs supervisory and administrative work related to the day-to-day operation of all facets of the department.
- Assumes full responsibility for all Public Works Department services and activities.
- Advises the City Administrator, Mayor, Council, and other Department Managers on all Public Works related issues.
- Develops and implements Public Works Department goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures and allocates resources accordingly.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates Public Works Department personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the Public Works Department budget; approves the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Prepares and presents agenda items for Council meetings as needed. Provides staff assistance to the City Administrator; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public works administration.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Coordinates Public Works Department activities with other departments, outside agencies, and organizations.
- Provides effective guidance during times of emergency to assist first responders in assessing damage and devising strategies to protect people and property.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles, objectives, practices, and procedures of the Public Works Department.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with governing body, city administration, department heads, employees and the public.
- Ability to provide appropriate supervision to Public Works employees by providing effective feedback, dealing with problems assertively and quickly, creating a cooperative work environment, modeling appropriate behavior, promoting and initiating change, completing appropriate evaluations on a timely basis, etc.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively organize and direct the work of subordinates toward the accomplishment of the department’s objectives.
- Ability to use sound judgment and common sense, think logically, and make appropriate decisions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the laws and regulations related to employment practices and the supervision of employees.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of computers and modern office practices.
- Ability to understand and anticipate problems, develop department policies and procedures, prepare reports and budgets, interpret data, and understand manuals, articles, reports, and written instructions.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of issues related to streets, sewer, water, storm water and all other areas of public works management.
- Requires a valid Kansas driver’s license.
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in a field related to public works administration, or at least seven years of equivalent education and experience providing the knowledge, abilities, and skills cited above.
Work is performed both inside and outside. Involves heavy public contact. Inside work will involve physical activity associated with working in an office setting. Outside work is occasionally heavy and may involve physical activity such as lifting, pulling, pushing, carrying, and involves handling, seeing, hearing, listening, and talking. May involve after-hour calls and exposure to extreme weather conditions.
10/22/2019 12:00:00 AM
11/29/2019 11:59:59 PM