To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: El Dorado Correctional Facility
Job Title: Corrections Officer I
Salary: $18.26 Hourly
El Dorado Correctional Facility
1737 SE Highway 54, P.O. Box 311
El Dorado, KS 67042
About the Position:
- Who can apply: External
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Classified
- Full/Part-time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Shifts are 0600-1400, 1400-2200, 2200-0600 as assigned, days off fluctuate with assigned post. Overtime as required.
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Annual Salary Range: $37,980.80
- Hourly Pay Range: $18.26
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
Visit the Employee Benefits page for more information…
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
Corrections provides steady, secure employment, competitive benefits, and opportunities for growth and career advancement.
- Multiple positions are available
- No Previous Corrections experience required - we provide paid Corrections Officer training
- $18.26/hour with benefits (additional $.30 shift differential of those assigned to the 6pm - 6am shift)
- Good attendance record is essential for successful employment
A Corrections Officer I (COI) supervises and maintains discipline and control of offenders at all times; performs searches of offenders' person and physical areas in order to prevent and control concealment of contraband; observes and monitors offenders' activities and interactions while staff, offender, and vehicular traffic to prevent the admittance or exit of authorized persons and the introduction of contraband; takes and reports periodic counts of offender; and responds to emergency situation in accordance with appropriate contingency plans.
- High School Diploma or GED
Licensing & Certification
- Valid Driver License
- Minimum Qualifications
- At least 18 years of age at the time of appointment
- Free of any felony conviction(s) or diversion of a felony, whether or not expunged
- Free of any felony or misdemeanor domestic violence crime as set forth in 18 U.S.C. 911 (d)(9) and (g)(9)
No DUI conviction in past two years; no conviction, adjudication, diversion agreement or probation for misdemeanor involving controlled substance or possession of drug paraphernalia in past five years; free of any final court order prohibiting candidate from stalking, harassing, threatening, or having contact with any person; free of convictions or civil or administrative adjudication for sexual activity facilitated by force or threat. This list is not all-inclusive; other convictions or pending charges may disqualify a candidate.
- Pre-employment Requirements
- Upon receipt of the required application documents (application and tax clearance certificate), applicants will be contacted to schedule the Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC) Corrections Officer Test and must pass with a score of 70% or better.
- Interviews are typically scheduled on the same day as the Corrections Officer Test.
- Must provide high school transcript, diploma or GED upon interview date.
- Consideration is given to the test score, interview score, writing score, education, job history and longevity, and attendance record.
- All candidates are subject to a background check, criminal history investigation, and employment check.
- Candidates offered a position are required to take and pass a drug screen test, physical, and TB screening.
- Must possess a Kansas Driver’s License prior to start date.
Recruiter Contact Information:
Required documents for this application to be complete:
- On the My Job Applications page, verify these documents are present and valid. Upload or delete and upload new if needed.
- Tax Clearance Certificate
- High School Diploma or GED
- DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran’s Preference)
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate Required: Each applicant (even non-residents) applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue's website. A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants, including current state employees, are responsible for submitting a valid certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Visit the Tax Clearance site for more information and where to obtain this Kansas Department of Revenue document.
Job Application Process
- Sign in to your existing account or Register for a new one to apply.
- Complete or review your contact information on the My Contact Information page.
- Upload documents listed in the Required Documents section of the job posting to the appropriate location.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the preferred email listed on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers - My Job Notifications page
To assist in completing your application, please see helpful links below:
How to Claim Veterans Preference
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran"; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans' preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best-qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager.
Learn more about claiming Veteran’s Preference
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the recruiter.
11/6/2019 12:00:00 AM
12/9/2019 11:59:59 PM