To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Job Title: Building Inspector-Preference given to applications received by December 9, 2019
Salary: $21.56 Hourly
80% Building Inspections
- Review building permit applications and conduct plan reviews to ensure compliance with codes and other regulatory requirements.
- Inspect public and private buildings to ensure compliance with building codes and other regulatory requirements.
- Advise and provide assistance to homeowners, contractors, and others in interpreting and complying with building codes and regulatory requirements.
- Research and maintain knowledge of new code changes, new materials available, and new methods of construction.
- Regulate and control the construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, and the location of structures within the city.
- Collaborate with the Building Trades Official to interpret the codes and regulations, schedule and perform inspections and perform other duties.
- Collaborate with the Building Trades Official and other city staff to make recommendations on the adoption of new codes and policies.
- Operate motor vehicle on a regular basis.
20% Administrative Support
- Prepare and maintain records and reports related to the division, including building permits, inspections, and enforcement activities.
- Perform work in accordance with established standards and in compliance with city and department policies and procedures.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed to address business needs.
Latitude: Most duties are self-determined, planned, and arranged by performer. Problem solving requires advanced technical knowledge. Most decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently based on city policy and consultation with appropriate stakeholders is essential. Regular and reliable attendance at work is required.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization, general public, developers, and contractors.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Some college courses in building, construction, or inspection related field, preferred.
- Five years building trades or related experience, preferred.
- ICC certification in mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and building inspection are required within 24 months of employment.
- Plan Review Certification, preferred.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license, and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of building codes, plumbing codes, mechanical codes, and electrical codes.
- General knowledge about construction materials and methods.
- Ability to read and use blueprints.
- Ability to operate office-related equipment, including ability to access and retrieve information from various computer software programs.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis.
- Negotiation, persuasion, tact, and diplomacy are essential for effectively performing tasks.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Frequent field work and exposure to adverse weather conditions, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving or pushing of 30 pounds. This position requires the capability and mobility to inspect in areas of difficult access. Occasional bending, stooping, crawling, squatting, and twisting while doing inspections is required. Occasional attendance at evening meetings is required.
11/26/2019 12:00:00 AM