To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Marion County
Job Title: Equipment Operator - Tr Station
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I
Department: Solid Waste
Reports To: Transfer Station Manager
Under the general direction and supervision of the Transfer Station Manager, the Equipment Operator I is a non-exempt position under the FLSA. This position performs semi-skilled and manual labor in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations relating to solid waste disposal. This employee should possess excellent organizational, communication and public relation skills.
- Responsible for the loading of trucks with solid waste using a skid loader and other machinery and equipment;
- Maintains accurate scale tickets and time sheets;
- Assures all department equipment and machinery is kept in good operating condition, performs maintenance and repair;
- Works with citizens and governmental entities regarding solid waste management;
- Determines unacceptable wastes.
- Attends and participates at educational and training sessions for department employees;
- Assures that transfer station is securely locked each day at closing;
- Performs basic building/office maintenance;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Equipment Operator I
Solid Waste Department
Minimum Position Requirements
Experience: One year of similar or related experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within one year of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required.
Skills: The ability to operate semi-tractors and trailers, skid loader, front-end loader, overhead crane and other various utility vehicles used in the operation of the Solid Waste Department is essential. A Kansas Commercial Driver’s License is required. This employee should have excellent organizational, public relations and communication skills.
Problem Solving: Independent problem solving is a factor in this position. This employee encounters problems with equipment malfunctions, adverse weather and citizen concerns.
Decision Making: Independent decision-making is a factor in this position. This employee makes decisions about safe operation of machinery and equipment, performance of vehicle inspection, identification of any mechanical problems and performing daily duties in the most efficient manner.
Accountability: This employee is responsible for county equipment and resources. This employee does not participate in the annual budget process.
Supervision: This employee works under the directions of the Transfer Station Manager. This employee does not exercise supervision of subordinate personnel.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, other personnel, supervisory personnel and other governmental entities is expected.
Working Conditions: Some adverse working conditions exist within this position. Exposure to heavy machinery, hazardous chemicals, adverse weather, adverse sanitary conditions and excessive noise is expected.
Physical Requirements: Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, extensive walking and the ability to operate department equipment is required daily in this position.
12/10/2019 12:00:00 AM