To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: Lyon County
Division: Detention Center
Job Title: Food Preparation Worker
Salary: $13.66 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Lyon County after applying.
LYON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE has Openings for Food Preparer (i.e. Cook) Positions:
The Lyon County Sheriff’s Office is now accepting applications for full-time non-exempt Food Preparer position with overtime paid. Starting Pay $13.66 per hour or determined by the Sheriff with prior experience. This position involves the preparation of food for inmates according to a schedule and the cleaning and sanitizing activities of the kitchen.
Requirements: You must: 1) be a United States citizen; 2) have no felony convictions of any kind; and no conviction of certain misdemeanors, including domestic violence; 3) be a high school graduate, or the equivalent thereof; 4) be of good moral character; 5) pass psychological testing; 6) be free of any physical or mental condition which adversely affects the ability to perform the essential functions of a food preparer under the umbrella of law enforcement; 7) be at least 21 years of age.
Preferred qualifications: Prior Food preparer experience and working toward an Associate Degree in culinary arts.
Applicants must fully complete a truthful application. Complete polygraph testing, pass background screening, pass physical test screenings, and alcohol and drug testing.
This position will remain open until filled.
Application and complete job description may be obtained at the HR Department at the Lyon County Courthouse, 430 Commercial, Emporia, KS 66801 or online at www.lyoncounty.org . E.O.E. – LYON COUNTY strongly encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings.
Lyon County EOE | Women | Minorities | Disabled | Veteran
Disclaimer: The above information on this announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employee assigned to this job.
JOB TITLE: FOOD PREPARER ORIGIN DATE: MAR 1987
REPORTS TO: FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR REVISION DATE: APRIL 2019
DEPARTMENT: SHERIFF DEPARTMENT NO: 10-20
DIVISION: DETENTION CENTER
This is a non-exempt Grade 3 position. It involves the preparation of food for inmates according to a schedule and the cleaning and sanitizing activities of the kitchen.
- Prepare meals as assigned under the supervision of the Food Service Supervisor and according to schedules.
- Perform cleaning and sanitizing activities as assigned.
- Assist with receiving and storing of inventory items.
- Show up for work on a regular and predictable basis as scheduled.
- Required to attend training sessions or seminars.
- May be assigned other temporary duties by the supervisor.
- May be required to participate for 2-3 years in the WorkWellKS training seminars and the Lyon County, Kansas Wellness Team roles as: Convener, Facilitator, Secretary, Communications/Promotion, Liaison to the Executive, Meaningful Employee Engager, Event Planner, Benefits Liaison, Data Liaison, and/or Facilities.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Education: High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent required. Work toward Associate Degree in culinary arts preferred.
- Knowledge: How to prepare daily meals in a significant quantity. Ability to receive, interpret and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Skills: Operate all basic food service equipment.
- Supervisory: None except for those who are assigned to fill in for the Supervisor.
- Interpersonal: Staff and some department personnel, occasional vendors.
- Work Conditions: Modern facilities. May work some overtime and subject to call-backs.
- Physical Requirements: Frequent lifting up to 50 pounds to a height of 72 inches. Requires sufficient visual acuity to read and write and operate kitchen equipment. Requires sufficient hearing level to be able to deal with the public and communicate with others directly or by telephone.
- Must be able to read write and speak English fluently; ability to speak second language helpful.
This job description has been examined for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
By signing below, I am certifying that I have read and understand the job description. I also attest that there is nothing in this Job Description that precludes me from performing any of the aforementioned duties with or without reasonable accommodation. I understand that being dishonest about the abovementioned can lead to disciplinary procedures up to and including termination.
Lyon County Representative Signature
1/9/2020 12:00:00 AM