To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Lyon County
Division: Facilities Maintenance
Job Title: Custodian
Salary: $11.75 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Lyon County after applying.
JOB TITLE: CUSTODIAN ORIGIN DATE:
DEPARTMENT: FACILITIES MAINTENANCE REVISON DATE: JULY 2019
REPORTS TO: FACILITIES MAINTENANCE MANAGER DEPARTMENT NO.:
CLASSIFICATION: NON-EXEMPT JOB ZONE: 4.0 to < 6.0
- JOB SUMMARY: This is a non-exempt position. Under the supervision and direction of the facilities manager, the custodian is a non-exempt position. The duties performed will be skilled and semi-skilled. Work will involve the general upkeep of the Lyon County buildings exteriors, interiors, entrances, hallways, etc. Keep facility clean and in an orderly condition.
- PRIMARY DUTIES: Duties consist of; but are not limited to the following:
- Sweep, mops, scrubs, and vacuums hallways, stairs, office spaces, etc.
- Strips and refinishes the floors on all levels, cleans carpet as needed.
- Opens and secures the facility
- Cleans glass doors, windows window blinds, windows casings and wood fixtures, stair railings, etc.
- Cleans, disinfects the restrooms, drinking fountains, furniture, fixtures such as stair casings, baseboards and ledges.
- Empties all waste into proper containers for pick-up.
- Notifies supervisor of need for maintenance on items found while working.
- Notifies supervisor of cleaning supplies needed/keep an inventory of supplies on hand sufficient enough to perform the job.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, citizens, coworkers, and management. Being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude. Maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Must show up for work on a regular and predictable basis as scheduled.
- Must be reliable, responsible, dependable, and fulfill obligations.
- Learn to follow safety rules and regulations while maintaining a safe and clean environment.
- Requires current Class C driver’s license.
- EXPERIENCE: One to Two years of experience in the field is preferred, but not required.
- EDUCATION: High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent required. Attendance of training courses in the related field is on a continuing basis.
- KNOWLEDGE: Must have the ability to receive, interpret and follow verbal and written instructions. Must have the ability to receive, interpret and follow verbal and written instructions. Required to read, write and speak English with the ability to speak a foreign language helpful.
- TECHNICAL SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical manuals relative to facilities maintenance. Ability to write reports and response to Facility Work Orders. Ability to work with mathematical concepts. Ability to apply concepts as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
- PROBLEM SOLVING: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions and report to supervisor.
- DECISION MAKING: Decision making is a factor of departmental level importance in this position.
- FINANCIAL ACCOUNTABILITY: Responsible for efficient use of all equipment, facilities, and materials used for custodial purposes. Little to no economical purchasing, or annual budgeting.
- PERSONAL RELATIONS: The ability to communicate with the public in an effective manner, to establish a working relationship with other county and municipal offices and the ability to express oneself clearly and precisely, orally and in writing is essential.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Working conditions are inside and outside in moderate and extreme conditions.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee is infrequently required to climb or balance. Employee is required to walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and / or remove up to 15 pounds, frequently lift 25 pounds and occasionally lift or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job are close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, night vision and the ability to adjust and focus. While performing duties to this job, employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- Employees hired after September 9, 2016: Lyon County/City of Emporia (Company) understands that a job analysis is being completed in compliance with the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA). One of the outcomes of the job analysis is the determination of one or more job specific tests that will either qualify or disqualify the post-offer or post-employment (fit for duty) candidate for the position. For the Classification Series of LYON COUNTY/CITY OF EMPORIA: DRIVER/OPERATOR: The Company representative hereby acknowledges the following as valid physical requirements:
- Employee lifts/carries 10 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the time or 1-100 times per day).
- Employee lifts/carries 20 pounds frequently (34%-66% of the time or 100-500 times per day).
- Employee lifts/carries 5 pounds constantly (67%-100% of the time or over 500 times per day).
- Employee’s position requires pushing a maximum force of 100 pounds.
- Employee’s position requires pulling a maximum force of 100 pounds.
- SAFE LIFTING CRITERIA:
- Floor to knuckle: N/A
- 12” to knuckle: 90lbs
- Knuckle to shoulder: 35 lbs
- Shoulder to overhead: N/A
- Carry: 35 lbs
- Push: 90 lbs force (sled +335lbs)
- Pull: 90lbs force (sled +335lbs)
This job description has been examined for compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
By Signing below, I am certifying that I have read and understand the job description. I also attest that there is nothing in this Job Description that precludes me from performing any of the aforementioned duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Printed Name _____________________________________
Lyon County Representative Signature _________
1/13/2020 12:00:00 AM