To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Emporia State University
Division: Police and Safety
Job Title: University Police Officer
Salary: $16.56 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Emporia State University after applying.
Emporia State University currently has a University Police Officer (or Trainee) vacancy with our Police and Safety department located in Emporia, KS.
The person selected for this position will join a team of commissioned police officers who serve and protect the students, employees, and visitors of Emporia State University. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Patrol assigned areas and respond with action appropriate to given situations
- Complete written reports as required
- Pursue, apprehend and/or arrest violators of the law, exercising care to ensure legal and constitutional soundness
- Respond to emergency situations
- Establish and maintain professional contacts with University employees, residents and others
To learn more about the crime rates at Emporia State University, review our annual Security and Fire Safety Report at: https://www.emporia.edu/about-emporia-state-university/leadership-faculty-staff/student-affairs/dean-students/right2know/
Compensation and Benefits:
Officer pay starts at $16.56 per hour. Trainee pay is $14.99 per hour during the training period. Emporia State University also offers the following benefits:
- Paid Time Off – 272 hours per year (176 hours of vacation, and 96 hours of sick leave)
- Employee Tuition Waiver – Attend classes tuition free after 1 year of employment
- Spouse/Dependent Tuition Assistant - 20% off of tuition for each year of employment (100% off after 5 years of service)
- Paid Parental Leave – Up to 6 weeks of paid parental leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- KP&F Retirement and other voluntary retirement options
- Employer-provided life insurance, long- term disability insurance, and accidental death insurance
To qualify for the University Police Officer position, you must have certification from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Commission, 1 year of law enforcement experience (or relevant education or military experience), a high school diploma (college degree is preferred), and a valid driver’s license.
The Trainee position is available to individuals without the required KLETC certification and/or experience. For this position, ESU sponsors the employee’s 14 week KLETC training, and provides an additional 14 weeks of field training.
No matter which position you apply for, members of the Police and Safety team must display the ability to:
- Effectively communicate verbally and through writing, and actively listen
- Control emotions during stressful situations
- Build positive relationships with a variety of people, particularly in difficult situations
- Accurately assess your abilities and limitations
- Analyze situations and events logically, and organize the parts of a problem systematically
Necessary Special Requirements:
To become a police officer you must be a United States citizen and at least 21 years of age. You must complete a basic law enforcement training program recognized by the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Commission and obtain certification as a law enforcement officer from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Commission before being given permanent status. At the time of appointment, you must take and pass a drug screening test approved by the Division of Personnel Services, and be required to pass a physical and psychological exam administered by the hiring agency. This position requires the use of a firearm for law enforcement duties and therefore, candidates cannot have been convicted of, and must be free of any diversions from, a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence crime as set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 922 (d) (9) and (g) (9).
To join the Emporia State University Police and Safety team as a University Police Officer or Trainee, submit your application at www.HRePartners.com by the deadline of February 23, 2020. If you request Veteran's Preference, please provide a copy of your DD214 to the ESU Human Resources Office (see the recruitment contact information below).
We regretfully inform you that applications missing any of the above items or deadlines may be regarded as incomplete and therefore ineligible for consideration. For more information about the application process, click here. A pre-employment background check and drug screening are required.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, Emporia State University considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
Recruitment Contact Information
Post: Human Resources, Emporia State University
1 Kellogg Circle, Campus Box 4044
Emporia, KS 66801
1/30/2020 12:00:00 AM
2/23/2020 11:59:59 PM