To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Goddard
Job Title: Public Works Laborer
Salary: $15.50 Hourly
Primary function of the job is to operate and maintain water distribution and sewer collection and pumping systems when required. Employees must meet the minimum requirements, conditions of employment, and be able to perform successfully, all essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations. Overtime may be required to complete the task within a specific time frame or in an emergency situation.
General Maintenance & Other Duties:
- Operate a variety of equipment including trucks, backhoes, tractors, lawnmowers, air compressors, concrete saws, circular and quickie saws, jackhammers, electric drills, water pumps, water and wastewater pipes and appurtenances in various weather conditions, and a sewer jetter.
- Utilize a variety of hand and power tools. Upkeep and maintain utilized equipment
- Inspect and restore equipment fluid levels including oil, fuel, water, and transmission fluid. Lubricate equipment as needed; report any necessary repairs on equipment; lockout/tagout unsafe equipment
- Assist with excavation projects. Use probing rods to locate leaks and utility lines.
- Collect and complete daily schedules; report daily work to appropriate staff member.
- Maintain a safe working environment. Includes wearing appropriate safe clothing, erecting proper barricades and signage when necessary, and using equipment and materials properly
- Interact with citizens utilizing the City brush pile and rental of City tables/chairs. Monitor loads brought in to brush pile for improper materials
- Perform minor building and equipment maintenance including but not limited to rough carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and painting
- Perform routine custodial duties at City owned buildings including but not limited to PW, WWTP, City Hall, Library, Community Center, and City Pool
- Assist in the set-up of City events such as National Night Out and Goddard Fall Fest
- Care for impounded animals at the Goddard Public Works yard
- Assist in road maintenance during snow/ice conditions using sand/salt applications and snow removal with backhoes/tractors/ and dump trucks
- Assist in the mowing/maintenance of public right-of-way and property as needed
- Perform minor concrete repair work such as replacing sidewalk after excavations
- Maintain city shop and grounds
- Assist in the installation of seasonal decorations and banners
- Assist other City employees on jobs as needed
- The ability to be on-call at all hours of day and night (including holidays), as well as the ability to be placed into an On-Call rotation with other Public Works employees.
- Perform water and sewer utility locates as requested through the utilization of the Kansas One-Call system
- Reads water meters using electronic read system and also manual reads
- Monitors, repairs, and maintains City water wells, water tower, and adjoining grounds
- Install new water service and fire hydrants
- Monitor, maintain, and repair and service leaks or emergency water main leaks as needed
- Interact with customers when performing water shut-offs and turn-ons.
- Check City generators to ensure proper operations in case of emergency
- Perform daily water testing
- Provides inspection for new sewer service installation
- Unblock, flush, repair, and locate sewer lines
- Monitor system for sewer backups and check sewer catching systems
- Inspect and repair sewer manholes as necessary
- Monitor, repair, and maintain City lift stations
Experience: Similar experience preferred.
Education: Graduation from high school or GED required.
Technical Skills: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with other city employees and supervisors. Must be able to use a variety of heavy equipment including, but not limited to backhoes, graders, tractors, bobcats, etc. Must acquire a Kansas Class B CDL with airbrakes within 6 months of employment. Knowledge of safety precautions related to general maintenance and repair work for water sewer utility systems.
Problem Solving: Frequent problem solving exists in this position. Problems include using heavy equipment for complex repairs.
Decision Making: Frequent decision making exists in this position.
Supervision: Limited supervision is provided by the public works operation manager.
Personal Relations: Continual contact with other city departments and the general public.
Working Conditions: Heavy manual labor is required; extreme weather conditions and working with fuels, oils, and maintenance chemicals are factors in this position; frequent exposure to moving parts and machinery. Personal protective equipment is frequently required.
Physical Requirements: The majority of the work involves heavy physical labor and exertion to manually move, lift, carry, or push heavy objects, or equipment possibly weighing 100 pounds or more. Climbing in and out of ditches and manholes, bending, stooping, and/or shoveling as required; climbing and reaching to trim trees, change light bulbs, etc. Frequently operates heavy equipment for extended periods of time.
The City of Goddard is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
2/6/2020 12:00:00 AM
2/19/2020 11:59:59 PM