To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Winfield
Job Title: Sanitation Worker I
Position Title: Sanitation Worker I
Reports to: Sanitation Superintendent
Created on: June 30, 2015
Last Revised: December 27, 2017
Pay Grade: 8
Under general supervision, operates light to heavy equipment in the collection of refuse and/or recycling. Work
requires heavy manual labor.
• Drives truck in a safe manner and obeys all traffic laws.
• Operates and maintains refuse trucks, and other trucks over 2 1/2 tons and up to 25 cubic yard capacity.
• May operate forklifts, skid loader or other heavy equipment.
• Loads dumpsters.
• Lifts heavy cans of refuse.
• Picks up brush, appliances and makes special pick-ups for discarded furniture and other refuse.
• Operates compactor hydraulic controls.
• Checks oil and other fluid levels daily.
• Lubricates and services trucks as needed.
• Obtain and maintain Non-DOC supervisory certification.
• May act as lead worker of regular helper.
• Makes repairs to refuse containers.
• Picks up recyclable material and transports to transfer facility.
• Assists in recycling program.
• Works some weekends.
• May be assigned to work at a compost site, recycling center or neighborhood cleanup site.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, superiors, other agencies, and the
• Deals with the public in a manner that positively promotes the image of the City and handles complaints tactfully.
• All employees of the City of Winfield are subject to immediate callout when an emergency, disaster or breach of
homeland security occurs. Such call to respond and assist may involve those activities to his/her regular job
responsibilities and incorporate other non-job-related duties as necessary and required of an employee. An
employee’s response to these matters may require the working of unusual, long hours over an extended period with
infrequent breaks or rest periods.
• “This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He
or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her
• Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
• Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
• Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
• Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of
maintenance is needed.
• Management of Material Resources - Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and
materials needed to do certain work.
• Coordination -Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
• Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
• Identification of Key Causes - Identifying the things that must be changed to achieve a goal.
• Troubleshooting - Determining what is causing an operating error and deciding what to do about it.
• Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
• Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
• Control Precision - The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact
• Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule
or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
• Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words
• Selective Attention - The ability to concentrate on a task over a period without being distracted.
• Self-Starter - Accomplishes work with very little direct supervision.
Experience and Education:
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or GED.
• One year of responsible experience in the operation of trucks and light equipment in construction, maintenance, or
• Non-DOC supervisor’s certification.
• Possession of a valid Class A or B commercial driver's license.
• Ability to perform heavy physical work and ability to lift and carry up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, climb, crawl, twist, ride, push, pull and perform a variety of similar body movements.
• Possesses hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to operate a packer, unload cans and containers into packer and
operate a vehicle.
• Ability to talk and hear in person and by telephone and two-way radio.
• Ability to see and read instructions and special orders, identify refuse, recycling and drive a truck.
• Ability to work in hot, cold, and damp conditions.
2/12/2020 12:00:00 AM
2/26/2020 11:59:59 PM