Pottawatomie County is an expansive county of over a half-million acres (862 square miles). The northern portion of the county is largely agricultural, while many southern areas consist of existing and planned development.
The county contains several cities and towns including: Belvue, Blaine, Duluth, Emmett, Fostoria, Havensville, Louisville, East Manhattan, Olsburg, Onaga, St. George, St. Marys, Wamego, Westmoreland, and Wheaton. Pottawatomie County is a growing county, population of 19,994 (Secretary of State, 2010), with a continued expansion of new construction in the housing market and business sectors.
The county is diversified in its business and industry and boasts an Economic Development Program. Pottawatomie County has a solid tax base and the 2nd lowest mill levy in the state due in part to a County government that believes in first-rate public services balanced by fiscal responsibility.
The county is home to several excellent school systems including a High School nationally recognized for academics, two State Lakes, and Tuttle Creek Reservoir.
APPLICATION AND TESTING REQUIREMENTS
Thank you for your interest in employment with Pottawatomie County. By submitting your application for any position with the County, you understand and agree to the following statements:
- I attest that I will only provide true and complete information. No requested information will be concealed. If any information I provide is untrue, or if I conceal material information, I understand that this will constitute cause for the denial of employment or immediate dismissal.
- By submitting this application I authorize Pottawatomie County to conduct a background check including but not limited to: employment history, personal references, criminal convictions, educational information, and others (visit http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/credit/rights.shtm for information on your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act).
Pottawatomie County recognizes the Kansas WORKReady! Certificate as one tool in our hiring process. For more information about the WORKReady! Certificate, please visit
https://www.kansasworks.com/ada/mn_workready_dsp.cfm or contact your local WorkForce Center https://www.kansasworks.com/ada/r/contact.
Conditions of Employment
In order to be considered for an available position, applications must be submitted before midnight (Central time) on the closing date, unless the position indicates “open until filled”. Drug Free Workplace - Pottawatomie County is committed to a Drug-Free Workplace. By submitting my application I understand the County requires the successful completion of a post-offer pre-employment drug test as a condition of employment. Certain positions may require additional testing, which may include written, verbal, or physical assessments.
Completion of an employment application does not constitute an offer of employment nor is a completed application considered a contract of employment. Employment with Pottawatomie County is considered to be “at-will”. Submission of an application does not establish an obligation for Pottawatomie County to offer employment. Additionally, any misrepresentation or omission of information on the employment application may result in the rejection of the application or in dismissal from employment.
Benefits (not an all-inclusive list):
- Health Plan – includes medical, dental, and prescription benefits; optional vision
- Optional Insurance Plans:
- Cancer insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accident insurance
- Life insurance
- Cafeteria Plan
- Eligible premium expenses
- Unreimbursed medical expenses
- Dependent Care expenses
- Paid time off: Vacation, Sick, and Funeral Leave, plus 10 paid Holidays each year
- KPERS or KP&F Retirement Program
- Deferred Compensation with employer match for qualifying contributions
- Employee Assistance program
Pottawatomie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the County’s policy to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. Personnel decisions, including hiring, promotion, transfer, training, etc. will be based upon merit (e.g. education, successful job experience, demonstrated potential) and bona fide occupational qualifications without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, age, or religion, or any other item as described in Federal, State, or local laws.
If you have any questions about benefits or employment with Pottawatomie County, please contact:
Crystal Malchose, firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Human Resources
Pottawatomie County Administration
PO Box 348
Westmoreland, KS 66549
785-457-3455 – main office
785-457-1432 - direct line
785-457-3503 - fax